Rate this topic

So, my mother and I have realized that we are just on the tip of the iceberg here and have a looong way to go, and a helluva lot more to learn. Apparently my mom is allergic to soy as well, which I saw is not uncommon, but we noticed another interesting symptom today. My mom tends to get nauseous after she eats meat. It took a couple times for us to notice it, but yesterday she was having a really good day and all the sudden after she ate some chicken she got sick. And the same thing happened today. She eats mostly chicken, so I am actually not sure if it is all meat, but she was glutened almost 2 weeks ago. Is she having a problem with meat because she was glutened, is this uncommon?

Another thing, for the smokers out there, does smoking bother you with having celiac? I am sure it is not good and my mom is really trying to quit, but of course is having a hard time.

Is the chicken you buy fresh and totally unprocessed with no broth added? If not try that instead of what you have been buying. The broth that is used in some chicken is not safe.

As to the cigs question. I am unfortunately a long time smoker. I stick with a brand called American Spirit that is additive free or in a pinch I will buy Winstons which are also supposed to be additive free. Some brands do have gluten ingredients and I know when I smoke one of those because my lips will peel and eventually I will get glutened symptoms.

It can take a while for a glutening to resolve. Mine last up to three weeks although I usually only have one day of painful D. The brain fog, joint and muscle pain and the horrible fatigue last for usually 3 weeks.

She may also just not be healed enough to tolerate meat yet. For some digestive enzymes like papain can be helpful.

If someone is still healing from the intestinal damage caused by gluten intolerance, fats can be hard to digest. The small intestines, which is the area damaged by gluten interaction, is where lactose fats vitamins and minerals are digested. If the villi damage is still present, which it usually is for sometime after you initially go gluten-free, then you could have an issue when you eat something higher in fat, like meat. The same could be true if you've been gluten-free for awhile and then are badly glutened. One of my symptoms after I've been glutened is nausea indigestion and acid reflux.

So, my mother and I have realized that we are just on the tip of the iceberg here and have a looong way to go, and a helluva lot more to learn. Apparently my mom is allergic to soy as well, which I saw is not uncommon, but we noticed another interesting symptom today. My mom tends to get nauseous after she eats meat. It took a couple times for us to notice it, but yesterday she was having a really good day and all the sudden after she ate some chicken she got sick. And the same thing happened today. She eats mostly chicken, so I am actually not sure if it is all meat, but she was glutened almost 2 weeks ago. Is she having a problem with meat because she was glutened, is this uncommon?

Another thing, for the smokers out there, does smoking bother you with having celiac? I am sure it is not good and my mom is really trying to quit, but of course is having a hard time.

Well that definitely explains it!!! I just need to know though how my mom can get some nourishment. Right now she is just eating rice and organic apples and rice milk. It seems that is all she can tolerate at the moment, and despite the fact that she eats a lot of it, she is still losing weight. She was badly glutened, and it is taking her a long time to recover. I suggested making a smoothie with different fruits and some rice milk, are there certain fruits that would be better for her to eat? And from everyone's one experience, after being badly glutened and pretty recently diagnosed, is there any way she can get better nourishment? She is going to see a nutritionist, but she wants to wait until she feels better because doctors make her anxiety worse. I don't know what to do, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Well that definitely explains it!!! I just need to know though how my mom can get some nourishment. Right now she is just eating rice and organic apples and rice milk. It seems that is all she can tolerate at the moment, and despite the fact that she eats a lot of it, she is still losing weight. She was badly glutened, and it is taking her a long time to recover. I suggested making a smoothie with different fruits and some rice milk, are there certain fruits that would be better for her to eat? And from everyone's one experience, after being badly glutened and pretty recently diagnosed, is there any way she can get better nourishment? She is going to see a nutritionist, but she wants to wait until she feels better because doctors make her anxiety worse. I don't know what to do, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

She definately needs a more varied diet. If she can tolerate adding some well cooked veggies to the rice and perhaps some other fruits that would help nutritionally. What brand of rice milk is she using? If it is Rice Dream that could be a lot of her issue. Rice Dream is NOT gluten free, it is made with barley although they now have taken that off the label. Pacific brand rice milk is gluten-free and she may want to try hemp milk as that has a good amount of protein. Buckwheat is also a good source of easily digestable protein and when glutened I find cream of buckwheat with cinnamon helps. I get the Pocono brand, the only item that company does is buckwheat and the fields are also dedicated to it so the risk of CC is low.

yes, you said cream of buckwheat on another post of mine, and I forgot to say thanks for that because my mom got some and she says it does help a load. She has been putting organic apples in the rice (gross!) but I will tell her to try other things, like we have organic zucchini. I think what her problem may be is nightshade. I have been seeing that a lot on this site and she seems to get sick after she tries to eat potatoes. I just have to convince her to eat some other things because she is like wasting away.

We do drink Rice Dream but on the Classic Original box it says gluten free on the front..I know some of the other kinds, like vanilla don't but the one I buy does say gluten free. They might have changed it I guess or I may be confusing the brand.

This may sound like an odd suggestion but it helped me quite a bit early on when I would get frustrated with my diet. In addition to avoiding gluten I avoid most things in the daisy family as I invariably am allergic to them. I also limit my nightshade exposure to potaots or tomatos once or twice a week. Absolutely cannot touch eggplant ever again :( And I have other allergies.

Anyway, I sat down and made a list of everything I could not eat in all it's variations. I didn't just list wheat I listed everything I used to eat with wheat in it. Same with everything else.

Then I made a list of everything I COULD eat whether I liked to eat it or could afford it or could get it. The could list was huge compared to the could not list. It also made me realize I had many many options and I became more adventurous in my grocery shopping after that.