gsmack

Interpreting Blood Tests

Rate this topic

I was recently given a IGG and IGA Tissue Transglutaminase AB blood test and my doctor just sent me the results without a note of any kind. The IGG cam back normal at 1.3 (range <6.0 U/mL) but the IGA came back slightly high at 4.7 (range <4.0 U/mL). I was also found to have iron, zince and Vit D deficiencies, for which I've been prescribed supplements, and low blood pressure -- all of which the doctor claims is contributing to my syncopy (i.e. passing out) when I get up in the morning. I have Hashimotos Hypothyroidism, IBS, Fibromyalgia and recently multiple chemical sensitivities. Because all of these diseases have "like" symptoms my doctor has been resistant to test for Celiacs. The test was finally run while I was admitted to the hospital but wasn't complete until I was home so came from my doctor, but just with the numbers above, and the doctor won't return my calls.

My question is -- Is a IGA of 4.7 with the norm of <4.0 indicative of Celiacs? Should I push this issue with my doctor or is it really that unlikely?

You can either push your doctor to refer you for an endoscopy or you can simply start the diet. With fibro and 'IBS' and the thyroid issues and the postive test result for celiac I would think that you will feel like a new person after you have been on the diet for a bit. If you are going to push for an endo, which can have a false negative, then you do need to hold off on starting the diet.

You can either push your doctor to refer you for an endoscopy or you can simply start the diet. With fibro and 'IBS' and the thyroid issues and the postive test result for celiac I would think that you will feel like a new person after you have been on the diet for a bit. If you are going to push for an endo, which can have a false negative, then you do need to hold off on starting the diet.

Thank you for your response. Is the test actually "positive" for Celiac at that level? I would really like a confirmed diagnosis so that I can have some confidence in pursuing testing for my kids, 2 of whom have IBS related symptoms as well.

Thank you for your response. Is the test actually "positive" for Celiac at that level? I would really like a confirmed diagnosis so that I can have some confidence in pursuing testing for my kids, 2 of whom have IBS related symptoms as well.

Celiac testing is like pregnacy testing in that positive is positive. If you want to pursue an endo please keep eating gluten. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that there are often false negatives in blood and biopsy for a variety of reasons. After you have done all the testing you choose to do please do give the diet a good strict try, sometimes our body can give the answer that testing cannot. Anyone with IBS, which by the way is not a diagnosis of anything, many of us refer to it as I B(e) S(stumped) should be tested. I would encourage your children to go ahead and get at least the blood work. Our family was very surprised when both of my children showed up postive on blood tests since I am one of the 30% of celiacs that do not show up in blood work. That prompted my husband to also test. His positive was a low positive, as yours was, but he has shown a great improvement in his health and mental functioning after he started the diet. I was close to death by the time I was diagnosed and in constant pain. No doctor told me to try the diet despite the fact I was a textbook celiac in symptoms. I lost many years because noone even told me what the tests were for only that they were negative. For me the diagnosis was miraculous and although by that time my body and brain were too damaged for a full recovery my quality of life has improved so much that it I now live rather than exist waiting to die.