Roda

Cvs And Walgreens Slow Fe Iron Supplements

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if the CVS and Walgreens brands of slow fe iron supplements (generic versions similar to the Slow Fe brand) are gluten free? Is the Slow Fe brand gluten free? There is quite a price difference. I'm not sure I will be able to handle the pills, so I don't want to waste a lot of money. I am going to give oral supplementation a try again, but if I can't tolerate it, I'm definately going to go to a hematologist.

Does anyone know if the CVS and Walgreens brands of slow fe iron supplements (generic versions similar to the Slow Fe brand) are gluten free? Is the Slow Fe brand gluten free? There is quite a price difference. I'm not sure I will be able to handle the pills, so I don't want to waste a lot of money. I am going to give oral supplementation a try again, but if I can't tolerate it, I'm definately going to go to a hematologist.

Slow Fe is gluten free according to this: http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

The same site features a Walgreen's over the counter gluten free list here: http://glutenfreedrugs.com/Walgreensgflist.pdf It doesn't have Slow Fe on it (go figure). It does have their house brand Ferrous Sulfate, which I also have here and can confirm there are no apparent gluten ingredients. Don't think it's their version of Slow Fe, though. I got it because every iron supplement I saw contained vastly more than the RDA for iron, and this one at 361% was the lowest. Still too much, I only ever took 5 or 10 of them. Heck, I'd happily mail them to you.:)

they contain more than the RDA for iron (18mg female, menstruating) because they're intended for people trying to build their iron stores back up, so they *need* more than the RDA to rebuild stores. iron supplements like these should be taken under the direction of a doctor (and include periodic blood work) to make sure that someone doesn't run the risk of getting too much iron.

my ferritin was 21 (with 30 being the desired lower limit), and I'm on two Slow Fe per day. it's a very slow process to rebuild the iron stores, and I've been on it for six months.

Slow Fe is gluten free according to this: http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm

The same site features a Walgreen's over the counter gluten free list here: http://glutenfreedrugs.com/Walgreensgflist.pdf It doesn't have Slow Fe on it (go figure). It does have their house brand Ferrous Sulfate, which I also have here and can confirm there are no apparent gluten ingredients. Don't think it's their version of Slow Fe, though. I got it because every iron supplement I saw contained vastly more than the RDA for iron, and this one at 361% was the lowest. Still too much, I only ever took 5 or 10 of them. Heck, I'd happily mail them to you.:)

Regular iron pills don't agree with me, but thanks. Yes I know tht the RDA is way high, but it has been recommended by my gi since of my persistent iron deficiency. Thanks for your concern. :)

they contain more than the RDA for iron (18mg female, menstruating) because they're intended for people trying to build their iron stores back up, so they *need* more than the RDA to rebuild stores. iron supplements like these should be taken under the direction of a doctor (and include periodic blood work) to make sure that someone doesn't run the risk of getting too much iron.

my ferritin was 21 (with 30 being the desired lower limit), and I'm on two Slow Fe per day. it's a very slow process to rebuild the iron stores, and I've been on it for six months.

Is the Slow Fe helping? is it rasing your ferritin? My gi doc recommended I take 2/day. I have heard it is easier on your body. I have tried regular and some rx iron supplements and they were wicked on my stomach. However this was prior to gluten free and the heartburn was already and issue and the iron made it worse. Yeah I know, no one even thought celic might be a cause until a 1.5 yr later and I put two and two together. I have been putting off trying it. I told the gi that I really was afraid to try anthing, because the heartburn has completly gone away (except when I get glutened mostly) and I really did not want to go there again. We did discuss iron iffusions, but he wanted me to give this a shot first. My last ferritin was 10, and thats the highest it's been! :o