PattyBoots

Is It Supposed To Smell Like That?

Rate this topic

I'm in the midst of baking a loaf of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix and the smell is horrific. Forgive me, but it smells like vomit and my stomach is rolling over. I can't open the windows and air it out because it's 90+ degrees here and I do enough air conditioning the outside with three dogs wanting in and out all day :)

This is my first bread ANYTHING since going gluten free immediately following Memorial Day weekend. If it's all like this, then I'm going to have to do some serious reworking of my menus. I'm dying for bruchetta. I guess I could just dip chips, but it's not the same without a crispy baguette rubbed with garlic and olive oil and toasted in the oven.

I made this bread regularly for several years and it always smelled good while baking--like "real" French bread. I'm at a loss as to why yours smells so bad.

Is the expiration date on the box ok?

We also use this mix regularly, and it smells like baking bread. Not a powerful aroma, but a pleasant one.

I love this bread mix but I usually use it for pizza crust. It smells great. Have you checked to see if maybe unknown item was left in the oven? Could one of the ingredients you added to it have gone off?