jkr

Food Intolerances Besides Gluten

Rate this topic

Hello,

It seems like since I had the endoscopy I've had more stomach issues than normal. I know that you can develop other food sensitivites so I am assuming that is the problem. My stomach gurgles after almost everything I eat. The GI did tell me I'm probably lactose intolerant too. My intestines have severe inflammation and severe atrophy. I wish the doctor could give me something for the pain.

I will start a food diary to try to figure out what I cannot tolerate. Also, does anyone have any suggestions about what to take to alleviate the pain? I do take Pepto-Bismol occasionally also.

Thanks!

It does take time to heal, which can cause other intolerances in the early stages, when was you diagnosed?

I am in the same boat, I am finding other foods irritate me, thinking it could be sugars, which can also be dairy due to the lactose, but I am thinking of possibly suffering from Fructose Malabsorbtion. I am going to ask for the breath test to be done.

I was about to post this so maybe I can add to your post for information on other food intolernaces and fructose malabsorbtion.

I get sore tummys mainly above the belly button the main pain, major bloating, major severe constipation, headaches they have improved since going gluten-free. But know there is something else.

I am seeing a naturopath who is helping although I need to investigate more on other intolerances.

The most common intolerances are of course lactose (because the damaged villi produce the lactase to digest the lactose); some people are intolerant of all dairy. Other major culprits are soy, corn, eggs, and with some people nuts. Those seem to be the major ones to try eliminating first. Pepto Bismol seems to be the preferred treatment for the distress though I never tried it myself.

Hang in there, because generally after the first two to three weeks things will start to settle down and the other problems will become clearer. In the first couple of weeks you really can't reach any conclusions. You have to wait for everything to stabilize and then work from there. Patience, unfortunately, is required in this process. It took a long time to get where you are, and it isn't going to be reversed overnight.

I had to self-diagnose myself and I think I had what they call a "leaky gut" when I discovered my intolerances. You must heal your "gut" by putting back the good bacteria like you find in yogurts into your intestines. Since I am also dairy intolerant, I couldn't do the yogurt or even most of the supplements I found as they also had milk/casein in them. I found www.kirkmanlabs.com and they have allergen-free supplements and bought their acedophilus. I would give it a couple of weeks at least to heal your stomach before trying to figure out too much about what other things are bothering you. You can go ahead and journal so you may see a pattern of food groups you eat alot of so you can figure out a plan to put into place when you do start eliminating foods from your diet. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I would agree with the other posters. It's just too soon for you to narrow that down. In the beginning, your system can be so raw it feels like you're reacting to everything. I would back off to a very simple diet of whole foods that you prepare yourself with one ingredient seasonings. No fresh dairy for now and if fruits seem too irritating, leave them also. Both of those you will probably be able to add back in later after some healing. In time when you start feeling better, then add in new foods one at a time every few days. The food journal is a very good idea going forward. It all helps you get into the new routine and helps you to shortcut future problems.

hey everyone. so i am just curious. after reading the responses above and information from other places, I understand that a lot of other intolerances come to light after going gluten-free. Does this happen more frequently than not? And how can you tell if the symptoms are from a newly discovered intolerance or it if is just still problems from gluten? I just started gluten-free last week and this is all really new to me... I just see the majority of people posting have many other things they need to avoid and I feel like it would be hard to pinpoint.

hey everyone. so i am just curious. after reading the responses above and information from other places, I understand that a lot of other intolerances come to light after going gluten-free. Does this happen more frequently than not? And how can you tell if the symptoms are from a newly discovered intolerance or it if is just still problems from gluten? I just started gluten-free last week and this is all really new to me... I just see the majority of people posting have many other things they need to avoid and I feel like it would be hard to pinpoint.

I believe we disover other intolerances after going gluten free, because we assume our symptoms are all caused by gluten intolerance or celiac disease. After we know we have eliminated all sources of gluten from our diets, we can't blame gluten for lingering symptoms. Rather than guess which other foods caused my symptoms or try a tricky elimination diet to determine the cause of my symptoms, my ND gave me the ELISA blood tests (3 variations) which diagnosed my other 5 food allergies. My Enterolab tests diagnosed my gluten and casein intolerance. My doc also gave me stool tests for bacterial, parasitic and fungal gut infections, which can also cause gut symptoms. I'd recommend tests to determine the cause of lingering symptoms after you're certain that you are no longer consuming gluten.

SUE

I believe we disover other intolerances after going gluten free, because we assume our symptoms are all caused by gluten intolerance or celiac disease. After we know we have eliminated all sources of gluten from our diets, we can't blame gluten for lingering symptoms. Rather than guess which other foods caused my symptoms or try a tricky elimination diet to determine the cause of my symptoms, my ND gave me the ELISA blood tests (3 variations) which diagnosed my other 5 food allergies. My Enterolab tests diagnosed my gluten and casein intolerance. My doc also gave me stool tests for bacterial, parasitic and fungal gut infections, which can also cause gut symptoms. I'd recommend tests to determine the cause of lingering symptoms after you're certain that you are no longer consuming gluten.

SUE

Thanks Sue, that is a very helpful explanation! I think that I am just so used to feeling sick that I can't imagine that all gut symptoms could actually go away. Realizing that that is a possibility, I can see why one would look for other causes once getting off of gluten! Thank you again!

Thanks Sue, that is a very helpful explanation! I think that I am just so used to feeling sick that I can't imagine that all gut symptoms could actually go away. Realizing that that is a possibility, I can see why one would look for other causes once getting off of gluten! Thank you again!

When I first experienced pain free hours, I wondered how I would order my days without celiac pain. That may sound ridicuous. However I had struggled with pain, bloating, gas and irregularity for so many years, I couldn't imagine life without those symptoms. After I eliminated sources of my food allergies, I learned some of my symptoms had actually been caused by bacterial dysbiosis (more bad bugs than good bugs) in my intestines. So over the past 3 years I have been diagnosed with and treated for 3 bacteria, 1 parasite and 1 fungus. I'm currently struggling with c-diff, a very drug resistant and potentially lethal bug. I'm on my 4th treatment cycle. I want to be symptom free soon. Enough already! LOL

SUE

When I first experienced pain free hours, I wondered how I would order my days without celiac pain. That may sound ridicuous. However I had struggled with pain, bloating, gas and irregularity for so many years, I couldn't imagine life without those symptoms. After I eliminated sources of my food allergies, I learned some of my symptoms had actually been caused by bacterial dysbiosis (more bad bugs than good bugs) in my intestines. So over the past 3 years I have been diagnosed with and treated for 3 bacteria, 1 parasite and 1 fungus. I'm currently struggling with c-diff, a very drug resistant and potentially lethal bug. I'm on my 4th treatment cycle. I want to be symptom free soon. Enough already! LOL

SUE

Wow, you are really getting through a whole lot of issues! I can completely understand the inability to imagine life without all these symptoms, I still can't and am very skeptical even after reading all of the wonderful improvements people feel! Even though you are still dealing with various other problems, at least they are being worked out (hopefully with that last potentially lethal one!!!) Good luck and I hope it all gets taken care of and you can enjoy your symptom free-ness!