This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Naturopath Or Holistic Worth A Try?

nu-to-no-glu

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

I am wondering if it would be worth a try to see a holistic dr? I posted earlier in the pre-diagnosis board about my long struggle with symptoms and problems with GI drs. Has anyone been diagnosed this way or have positive things to say? I would love some input. It seems these types of drs. might even be more sensitive?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

revliana Newbie
I am wondering if it would be worth a try to see a holistic dr? I posted earlier in the pre-diagnosis board about my long struggle with symptoms and problems with GI drs. Has anyone been diagnosed this way or have positive things to say? I would love some input. It seems these types of drs. might even be more sensitive?

I am currently working with a naturopath, she's the one that figured out to even have me tested for it! She is also giving me ways to continue the healing beyond just the intestinal healing. When you don't absorb nutrients over a long long period of time, your whole system gets out of whack and she told me it takes a huge effort to re-balance stuff, even after you've adapted your diet. So, I would highly recommend someone like that, they take a much bigger picture view of such health issues because this one in particular is not limited to your GI tract.

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

My assumption is this type of care is not generally covered through insurance, am I wrong? I went to see an allergist several years ago who practiced holistic medicine and ended up with over a thousand dollar medical bill. That was a rough lesson to learn! Do you find your treatment to be very expensive? Thanks for the reply :)

RESO Apprentice
My assumption is this type of care is not generally covered through insurance, am I wrong? I went to see an allergist several years ago who practiced holistic medicine and ended up with over a thousand dollar medical bill. That was a rough lesson to learn! Do you find your treatment to be very expensive? Thanks for the reply :)

Usually most alternative medicine is not covered. Although my new insurance says if a regular MD refers you to acupuncture for chronic pain, they will cover it in some cases. So I guess it depends if you can get your Dr. on board. Ask first about rates before you make an appt.

I have had very good results with acupuncture, so that's what I'd recommend (unless you have a fear of needles, of course). Not sure about the naturopathic route, I had a treatment for migraines once and it didn't help at all. But I won't discount it completely because I know other people who say it has helped.

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon.

CMG Rookie

I did go the alternative medicine route many years ago, when my diagnosis was yeast syndrome / candida overgrowth. (In retrospect, I realize that the yeast-free diet I was on then was essentially gluten free. I should have stuck with the program!)

I am now just starting down that path again after self-diagnosing gluten intolerance. In both experiences, the doctors have been focused on finding the root cause, not just treating symptoms. Both also have addressed the need to identify and address additional issues for overall healing, including: secondary intestinal infections resulting from damage caused - first by candida, now by gluten; adrenal fatigue from years of stress on the immune system.

In both instances, the alternative medical practices that I have chosen include licensed MDs, so they are covered by insurance, to an extent. The exception is some lab work. Because these doctors order some non-standard tests that are performed by smaller (out of plan) labs, some of the lab work might not be covered.

The first time I went down this road it was quite expensive, but in the end, I was the healthiest I had been in my life. I'll let you know how it goes this time - both on the expense side and otherwise. I have my second appointment tomorrow.

burdee Enthusiast

I think your choice depends on the doctor. In general holistic doctors and naturopaths are trained to consider the whole body and look for causes of symptoms. On the other hand, traditional medical doctors tend to merely treat the symptoms with drugs. Unless you have one of the more obvious, common ailments, they may not spend the time looking for the true cause of your symptoms.

However, I've had good and bad experiences with naturopaths. I saw one naturopath a year before my celiac diagnosis. I described my symptoms to him, but he did not think I had celiac disease, because I did not have diarrhea. So he recommended I take some digestive enzymes to resolve my intestinal symptoms. A year later I read an article that said celiacs often can also have constipation. Then I ordered the Enterolab tests which corroborated that I had celiac disease. (My Ttg and gluten antibodies were high and I had one of the main celiac genes.) 6 months later I learned that the digestive enzyme suggested by that naturopath contained barley (malt diastase). So I had continued to unknowingly consume gluten 5 months after my celiac diagnosis.

Nevertheless, I had a good experience with another naturopathic doctor whom I met at my celiac support group meeting. He also was a celiac, founded a local IBS Treatment Center and wrote books about gluten intolerance and causes of IBS symptoms. Although I had been diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerance and abstained from those, my continuing symptoms motivated me to see that naturopath. He gave me 3 different ELISA (blood) tests for food allergies (which diagnosed 4 more allergies) and stool tests for bacteria and fungus overgrowth. I continued to see that doctor for the past 3 years. Everytime I had gut symptoms (cramping and constipation), he gave me another stool test which diagnosed more bacteria and a parasite. Rather than just listening to my symptoms and guessing what might cause those symptoms, he always uses tests from labs with good quality control standards. Those lab test results also indicate which drugs or herbal supplements would best treat whatever gut 'bug' I had.

If you have not found a traditional doctor who will believe your symptoms and test you for celiac disease, food allergies, bacterial dysbiosis or other causes of ibs symptoms, consider seeking a naturopath who actually has celiac disease and food allergies and who uses tests as well as your symptoms to diagnose the causes of your problems.

SUE

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

Just an update for anyone interested. I called the Holistic Center here in Kansas City and it is definitely not cheap for treatment. They said it would be $400 an hour, $150 fee for new patients, and additional $75 per visit and usually you need 4-5 visits. On top of that you may need to purchase nutrients and supplements, ehich can average up to $500/month. She also said that they may bill some treatment to insurance, but a lot of it isn't even submitted and is cash basis.

Oh, also...here's the weird thing. The dr. at this center practices whole body/holistic medicine, but also practices traditional medicine to treat symptoms (which would be covered by insurance)...but, you have to decide which route you would like to pursue before your appt. for billing...I found that very odd. What if you would like both?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

revliana Newbie

If your state licenses Naturopathic Doctors, then your insurance company is required to pay for their services the same as an MD.

RESO Apprentice
If your state licenses Naturopathic Doctors, then your insurance company is required to pay for their services the same as an MD.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure that's wishful thinking only. Pretty much all states license their acupuncturists, but most insurance won't cover it. The problem with insurance companies is that they are not "required" to do much of anything, IMO...

RESO Apprentice
Just an update for anyone interested. I called the Holistic Center here in Kansas City and it is definitely not cheap for treatment. They said it would be $400 an hour, $150 fee for new patients, and additional $75 per visit and usually you need 4-5 visits. On top of that you may need to purchase nutrients and supplements, ehich can average up to $500/month. She also said that they may bill some treatment to insurance, but a lot of it isn't even submitted and is cash basis.

Oh, also...here's the weird thing. The dr. at this center practices whole body/holistic medicine, but also practices traditional medicine to treat symptoms (which would be covered by insurance)...but, you have to decide which route you would like to pursue before your appt. for billing...I found that very odd. What if you would like both?

Keep calling around. Sometimes there are coops and cheaper alternatives, you never know...

burdee Enthusiast
No offense, but I'm pretty sure that's wishful thinking only. Pretty much all states license their acupuncturists, but most insurance won't cover it. The problem with insurance companies is that they are not "required" to do much of anything, IMO...

Exactly. So your ins. co or HMO or even coop can decide whether to refund your expenses for alternative care. My HMO is a coop (Group Health). They have an 'options' plan for people who want to seek alternative care (naturopaths, acupuncture, etc.). They don't completely refund every expense, but I got a lot of reimbursement for all the office visits, tests and treatments from my naturopath. The best part about my HMO is my naturopath can phone my treatment prescriptions into my HMO/coop pharmacy. Then I pay much less for those prescriptions. For example, as a coop member, I paid $30 for a week of vancomycin (to treat c-diff), which would have cost $555 at a normal drug store. So coverage all depends on your ins. co or HMO.

SUE

revliana Newbie

Acupuncturists do not have state boards of examiners, many states have medical boards of examiners for Naturopaths. Any ND that has passed their boards in such a state will have their services reimbursed by insurance at the same level as any MD

• 1 month later...
Robinette Newbie

Try a Naturepath. They are generally way more open minded, as well as knowledgable about gluten sensitivity.

Raven's Mum Newbie

Raven has an absolutely AMAZING homeopath. I went in as an open minded sceptic I guess you can say, now I think this guy is magic! lol He's done more for her in this past year we have been working with him then I ever could have imagined. I think it really depends who you get. Just like in any profession, there are those that are truely talented and those that are just punching a time clock. Of course Raven has more issues than just the celiac, and she's newly diagnosed, so we'll see how things go along those lines as time goes buy. It can be very pricey but this guy has been worth every cent!

cyoshimit Apprentice

I hv been working with my holistic doctor for almost 6 years now. I started out when I was young and pretty rebelious as I got older I came to appreciate the benefits of working with a holistic dr. As many hv said they look at the big picture and help cleans and rebuild and support your bodies different stresses. They do not just treat the symptoms in that sense you hv to learn to be patient with yourself and let your body heal. For me personally I am working on rebuilding my adreanal glands poor lil' guys hv just been burned out, candita overgrowth, liver and I forget what esle. The point is to hv everything working together on the inside so you can function with no probs on the outside.

I Would suggest you see one. It wouldn't hurt to maybe just talk with a holisitc dr as well to learn more. I hope this helps:)

Archived