brownjm59

Colonoscopy Vs. Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

My 19-year old daughter was given a colonoscopy to test for crohn's disease, and the diagnosis came back with a benign small bowel fragment showing features consistent with celiac sprue. She will be seeing a GI next week and will have the blood work done. Everything I read on various sites tells us that you can't see celiac disease in a colonoscopy. If that is true, then why the pre-nosis from the colonoscopy? I'm confused too.

back with a benign small bowel fragment showing features consistent with celiac sprue. quote]

The small intestines or a partial view must have been visible or sample taken from the small intestines.

My 19-year old daughter was given a colonoscopy to test for crohn's disease, and the diagnosis came back with a benign small bowel fragment showing features consistent with celiac sprue. She will be seeing a GI next week and will have the blood work done. Everything I read on various sites tells us that you can't see celiac disease in a colonoscopy. If that is true, then why the pre-nosis from the colonoscopy? I'm confused too.

Thanks for the answer. I talked with someone today that said it couldn't be celiac disease because that can only be detected with blood work or endoscopy. I came home right away and started researching to see if we had been misled. Her colonoscopy was a horrendous experience for her as she was awake and begging them to stop, but they wouldn't because they were so close to getting a biopsy. I feel a little better hearing that it might be possible to see some vestige of the disease from the agony that she had to undergo. I know it isn't the final word, but it sound like I can maybe believe the colonoscopy report.

I had a colonoscopy done a few days before my endoscopy. I remember when the doctor came to speak to me after the procedure that she said she had gone up as high as she could and had gotten a couple biopsies of my small intestine also. At the time, I was groggy and didn't think to ask why she had done that. But at my follow-up appointment after both tests and all the bloodwork had come in I questioned her. She said that she had already suspected Celiac Disease and figured since she had an opportunity to get a biopsy of that end of my small intestine she would to see if the damage had gotten that far through my intestines. So it makes sense to me that that's what they did with your daughter also. I'm sorry she had such a rough time of it. :(