gymnastjlf

Great Value Toasted Rice Cereal

Rate this topic

I just found a box yesterday in the store, and out of habit, I checked the ingredients. But, I'm not seeing barley malt (or any malt) listed!

The ingredients look gluten free. Now before I go buying out the store or even eating the cereal, can someone else confirm that I'm reading the package correctly? Last week I grabbed an energy bar that I thought was gluten free... missed the oat fiber in the ingredient statement!

Could it be, Great Value's changing over to gluten free cereals? That would be wonderful...

I just found a box yesterday in the store, and out of habit, I checked the ingredients. But, I'm not seeing barley malt (or any malt) listed!

The ingredients look gluten free. Now before I go buying out the store or even eating the cereal, can someone else confirm that I'm reading the package correctly? Last week I grabbed an energy bar that I thought was gluten free... missed the oat fiber in the ingredient statement!

Could it be, Great Value's changing over to gluten free cereals? That would be wonderful...

The Wal-Mart website lists barley malt in the ingredients: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10450278 Admittedly, the site is still in beta testing, so it isn't necessarily up-to-date. Is "natural flavoring(s)" listed on your box? As barley isn't a top 8 allergen, they don't necessarily have to disclose it... but since they did as of the time the website was set up, one would think they still would. I'd still recommend trying to find somebody to ask at Wal-Mart headquarters, but it certainly sounds promising.

The box used to specifically state barley malt, so that's why I'm wondering if this is a new formulation. It does have the "may contain wheat" statement on it, and the box does not state gluten free. I'll see if I can get a call into them tomorrow (my phones at work last week were on the fritz!)

The Wal-Mart website lists barley malt in the ingredients: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10450278 Admittedly, the site is still in beta testing, so it isn't necessarily up-to-date. Is "natural flavoring(s)" listed on your box? As barley isn't a top 8 allergen, they don't necessarily have to disclose it... but since they did as of the time the website was set up, one would think they still would. I'd still recommend trying to find somebody to ask at Wal-Mart headquarters, but it certainly sounds promising.

if it says "may contain wheat" i would STAY AWAY. that to me would sound off the alarms. that means they probably share uncleaned lines and change the formulation often. as far as im concerned if GV brand doesnt say gluten-free i dont buy. that cereal would not be worth the risk