Freda66

Is All Gluten Created Equally?

Rate this topic

Hi there,

Since I'm being testing on Sept. 9, I decided to start to eat gluten again...(see previous post). This weekend I didn't watch the gluten intake and I got some cramps and bad gas, some urgency to use the bathroom, etc. but nothing I couldn't deal with. Today I ate again without watching gluten intake and I was cramped up terribly that I felt like I was in labor. Unfortunately I was in the car driving home from my sisters (about 1 1/2 hour drive). My legs ache so terribly as well, like the bodyaches when you get the flu. Also, not to be graphic but it also feels like my rectum has something in it, like a broom....I'm so sorry for this info but that is the best way to describe it. I guess maybe it is spasming. I told the emergency room doctor this last fall when I was hospitalized. I don't have loose bowels right now though. Also, wanted to ask....on a couple of bm's not too long ago I noticed whilte globular things about the size of a dime in the stool, it was nothing I ate. Could that be the fat that I read about with celiacs? Again, sorry for all the info, sure is embarrasing for me .

Does the level of gluten intake matter or the product it is in make a difference as to how someone reacts? Obviously I'm new to this so I apologize for all the questions. I'm going to soak in the tub now to try and alleviate the cramps and aches. I took pepto and IB profen...any other advice?

Thanks, Freda

Some Pepto Bismal liquid might help if you are having stomach pain. It sounds like you are having a fairly strong reaction. Keep your doctor in the loop. Some will stop the challenge if we react really badly and diagnosis us based on the challenge and the improvement we had already seen on the diet.

I will react stronger and stronger each day I eat the gluten. The worst reaction I had was eating a very small amount of gluten two days in a row. Even though it was accidental on my part, I've never done that again. I don't believe I would be able to stand a gluten challenge. In fact I told my dr I wouldn't do it.