kerri716

Blood Test Negative But Endoscopy Shows Signs Of Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm a 29 year old female in generally good health and I've been suffering from issues such as diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, headaches, body aches, fatigue, numbness/tingling/burning in legs/feet and occasionally arms, itchy bumps on scalp, anxiety and there's probably more I'm sure I'm forgetting to list. I've been back and forth to several doctors and it seems no one can figure out what is going on. I've been told I have fibromyalgia and IBS. I also recently had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis (cause unknown). Biopsies showed blunting of the villi and mild intraepithelial lymphocytes possibly indicating early celiac sprue. My GI sent me to get a celiac panel which came back negative. Could it be possible that I do have celiac or a gluten intolerance even with negative lab results? Or maybe it is in the early stages and unable to be detected yet by the lab tests? Has anyone else had a negative result that turned out to be celiac? Could the gastritis be related to celiac? Any help would be appreciated!

I'm not a dr but your endoscopy sounds like a celiac disease dx to me. Yes, it is possible for the blood work to be negative and you still to have celiac disease.

I would go on the gluten free diet immediately. I'm betting you see many of those nasty problems resolve over time. Start out simply eating whole foods you prepare yourself like meats, beans, nuts, vegetables and fruits. Probably it would be a good idea to avoid fresh dairy for awhile. You can try to add it back in after a time of healing.

Your body will tell you that you are on the right track. The villi blunting is a red flag of celiac disease and it shouldn't be ignored. Some of us that went on for years with those symptoms can no longer heal from them completely so get on the diet and be well!

Thank you for your input. I'm definitely going to try a gluten free diet and hopefully that will help. I thought that with the results of my endoscopy being what they were, that my diagnosis would be celiac disease or at least a gluten intolerance, but since my lab results came back negative my GI says that's not what it is, but I can try a gluten free diet if I want to. I don't want to continue feeling like crap, so I'm going to try the diet anyway. I guess it's easy for doctors to dismiss you because they are not the ones who feel bad all the time.

Thank you for your input. I'm definitely going to try a gluten free diet and hopefully that will help. I thought that with the results of my endoscopy being what they were, that my diagnosis would be celiac disease or at least a gluten intolerance, but since my lab results came back negative my GI says that's not what it is, but I can try a gluten free diet if I want to. I don't want to continue feeling like crap, so I'm going to try the diet anyway. I guess it's easy for doctors to dismiss you because they are not the ones who feel bad all the time.

I'm not a dr either, but I've been reading and researching like crazy, and that sounds backwards to me. From what I've read the blood test is typically performed 1st (which can produce a false negative) and the biopsy is the "gold standard" for diagnosis of celiac. Someone might correct what I've just said, but I'm almost certain that is what I've read over and over. You should google "celiac disease and diagnosis" and see if you have the same findings. Maybe you could print it to take to your dr? *

Also, I have many of your same symptoms and am hopeful they'll go away once I am gluten free! Hope u feel better soon.

Hi Kerri,

Yes, a positive endoscopy and biopsy, coupled with your symptom would most likely indicate Celiac Disease. Serologic panels for Celiac are not as reliable as we would like at this time.

I would think that you will see a marked difference in how you feel by beginning the gluten free diet. There is a load of information here that can help you get started. And, please feel free to ask any question.

Welcome to the Club! ;)

Thanks everyone! I thought it was backwards to get the blood work after the endoscopy and biopsy, especially with the biopsy showing the villi blunting. I'm not sure that my doctor really knows all that much about celiac disease. He said I don't have the typical symptoms of it, but from what I've read, I do. I've been trying to research it and that's how I came across this site. It's nice to be able to get input and support from others going through the same thing. I'm going to try going gluten free to see if that works. I just want to feel better!