This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wax On Fruit And Veggies

nauseatingnancy

Lisa Mentor
They had DDT on them. .

How odd they would tell you that. DDT has been banned, world wide, since 1972 and 1984. I wouldn't worry too much about fresh fruit. Give it a good rinse and enjoy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ann72601 Apprentice
How odd they would tell you that. DDT has been banned, world wide, since 1972 and 1984. I wouldn't worry too much about fresh fruit. Give it a good rinse and enjoy.

It is severly restricted in many countries, but still used. That's what I was told and I did research a little and saw that it is used. It is used in tropical countries.

ann72601 Apprentice
It is severly restricted in many countries, but still used. That's what I was told and I did research a little and saw that it is used. It is used in tropical countries.

Open Original Shared Link This is probably the most reliable source for why we are still exposed to DDT and the fact that it is used. There are phone numbers and publications listed as well. It's late and I didn't read it all, but enough. Besides, this isn't really related to celiac but can be used as a word of caution for some of us who are extremely sensitive......like me :D

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Has the federal government made recommendations to protect human health?

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) sets a limit of 1 milligram of DDT per cubic meter of air (1 mg/m3) in the workplace for an 8-hour shift, 40-hour workweek.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has set limits for DDT, DDE, and DDD in foodstuff at or above which the agency will take legal action to remove the products from the market.

Thanks Ann...this alone proves we can't "believe nothing that you hear, and only half of what you see!" People put so much trust in the FDA, and they are only as good as the laws they police. These huge companies are not afraid of a little fine...they continue doing as they please until they get busted. This says they "have set limits", not that they have removed it, or outlawed it all together. It's scary when you find info like this.

I called the Dept of Ag, who governs what goes on with our food in stores and such. We were having a huge problem with a local grocery store that always had spoiled milk on the shelf...then the cottage cheese became a problem, next was the yogurt. I called the Dept of Ag for an inspection of the store. They called me back personally, told me the refrigerators were at the correct temp, although the milk tested in the container was sometimes a little warmer. He said they may be rolling the dairy out on the floor, leaving it set for a time before putting it in the refrigerator...which, it is not necessary for this store to bring it out on the floor to begin with, it can be loaded from inside. He also told me they have had many, many complaints about this store. Their recommendations: Don't shop there! Is that an answer? Absolutely not. We pay these govt agencies big money to do their jobs. The answer is to fine the store, make them clean up their act. It had gotten so bad at this store, the Dept of Ag told me the store would no longer refund your money for sour milk, because the supplier would not give them a refund. Now that's bad.

These are the agencies we trust?

If the FDA was doing their jobs, there wouldn't be so many people being glutened by products claiming to not contain wheat. My intention is not to scare people, just to make them alert to what does go on. Laws look very good on paper, it's another thing to police them, make sure they are being carried out.

Lisa Mentor
Open Original Shared Link

This says they "have set limits", not that they have removed it, or outlawed it all together. It's scary when you find info like this.

These are the agencies we trust?

DDT has been banned in the US since 1972. The limites that the FDA has set on DDT is the residual effects from DDT decades ago, that may be found in root plants, that may have absorbed the residual DDT from the soil.

Although, we don't live in a perfect world, I'm glad that we have agencies working for the safely of the people they represent.

But, again, we get a little off topic. :(

darlindeb25 Collaborator

We have a legitimate worry about what is in the wax on our fruits and veggies. The wax contents do not have to be listed, and we worry about what we eat. It's tough being the sensitive ones. It's tough worrying about everything we put in our mouth.

psawyer Proficient
but I just found out that the wax they put on fruits and veggies MAY contain gluten, they cannot guarantee that it doesn't. I always wash fruits and veggies, as I am sure many do, but I don't know for those who are super sensitive, like my mom, may want to go organic. My mom only eats organic fruits/veggies now, and I just found out about this. Sorry if this has been posted before

As the original post indicates, the topic is gluten in the wax. The last six posts have had nothing to do with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator
People often assume if they are having issues again it must be from gluten. Your mom could be allergic or intolerant to another ingredient in the wax and that could cause similar symptoms. Although buying organic would be great for everyone, it isn't possible for many because of cost. I mix organics with non-organic, depending upon what the fruit or veggie is. Otherwise, my grocery bill would be even higher than it already is! :(

I agree- there are certain things I have eaten repeatedly that have made me ill and though I know they are gluten-free, it is not the gluten making me ill. I think most of those who cannot eat gluten are sensitive to other dyes, chemicals, sugars, etc.

As to whether there is gluten in the wax, I have seen no evidence of this. The wax may not make you feel good but that could well be from other chemicals (would you eat a candle? They're gluten-free)

There is no such thing as "end stage celiac", you either are celiac, or you are gluten intolerant. Celiac is not the end stage of gluten intolerance, that has never been proven. There are different levels of sensitivity, which many of us are much more sensitive than others. Gemini is much more sensitive, as is Patty, me, and many others. Some say I am not celiac, yet, I can't have any gluten. I can't eat any of the labeled "gluten free" foods, like crackers, cookies, cakes...they all contain a certain minimal amount of gluten, which I just can not tolerate. I can't eat any grains for the same reason.

It's called REFRACTORY SPRUE and some people on this board have it.

Although not a big fan of the FDA in general, where did you find evidence that it is used on produce imported to the US? I'd like to see it because DDT is frightening.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I remember my mom telling us, when they were kids, they chewed wax for gum...imagine that. Ewwwwwwwww. The wax on the apples maybe be one of the reasons I have never liked apple peel. I always peel them before eating.

ann72601 Apprentice

I have done my own experimenting with the organic vs. non-organic for the last 3 days and found that the exact vegtable, same pan, same cleaning method with the only difference is whether or not they were organic or not, has produced very different responses: the non-organics ended up giving me reactions lasting from 6 to 14 hours, while the organics had no adverse reaction. I guess the trigger will always be a mystery. I'm glad this topic came up.

Lisa Mentor

Sometimes, we will never know. :(

Gemini Experienced
And, as someone just asked, how do you know your organic produce isn't also coated with something?

It doesn't matter...all of the fruits and veggies I ingest are washed using a citrus spray, which is gluten-free, and then thoroughly rinsed. So, there would be no wax on whatever I was eating. And how do I know this? I don't get sick, have zero reactions, and my blood work is showing no gluten ingestion. I am using the best possible methods for ensuring and proving that I am not ingesting gluten so choose not to be paranoid about it. What better methods are there for ensuring compliance?

Jestgar Rising Star
It doesn't matter...all of the fruits and veggies I ingest are washed using a citrus spray, which is gluten-free, and then thoroughly rinsed. So, there would be no wax on whatever I was eating. And how do I know this? I don't get sick, have zero reactions, and my blood work is showing no gluten ingestion. I am using the best possible methods for ensuring and proving that I am not ingesting gluten so choose not to be paranoid about it. What better methods are there for ensuring compliance?

I'm actually less concerned with gluten, and more concerned with corn-based wax, since I have issues with corn (and it could easily be classified as organic).

I don't use a spray, but I'm pretty fanatical about washing my fruits and veggies. It's probably a good thing for everyone to do 'cause you never if the guy handling your produce washed his hands first...

Gemini Experienced
There is no such thing as "end stage celiac", you either are celiac, or you are gluten intolerant. Celiac is not the end stage of gluten intolerance, that has never been proven. There are different levels of sensitivity, which many of us are much more sensitive than others. Gemini is much more sensitive, as is Patty, me, and many others. Some say I am not celiac, yet, I can't have any gluten. I can't eat any of the labeled "gluten free" foods, like crackers, cookies, cakes...they all contain a certain minimal amount of gluten, which I just can not tolerate. I can't eat any grains for the same reason.

Actually, you are incorrect. That term was used by my physician because she had not seen anyone that sick from Celiac before. As she put it, I was one week away from a feeding tube so end stage Celiac is probably the best way to describe it. If I had gone any longer, who knows, I may have been one of those who died. I prefer not to think about how sick I was and how quickly I went downhill right before I was diagnosed. I only go forward and concentrate on becoming well.

The point I am trying to make is that if fruits and veggies with wax that have been washed off does not make me sick, I highly doubt the Celiac community at large

will be ingesting a gluten hit from the waxes on fruits and veggies. Really, I eat so many everyday, it's NOT possible for them to contain gluten. I would be in the hospital with refractory sprue by now. I think it really would serve many well if they became educated on Celiac Disease and how a person can come into contact with gluten in the real world and not freak out every time they think there might be gluten in something. It makes a huge difference in recovery. They also need to know that not every reaction is gluten related. Dairy gives me the exact same symptoms as a gluten hit so it can be hard to tell without doing your homework.

Gemini Experienced
I'm actually less concerned with gluten, and more concerned with corn-based wax, since I have issues with corn (and it could easily be classified as organic).

I don't use a spray, but I'm pretty fanatical about washing my fruits and veggies. It's probably a good thing for everyone to do 'cause you never if the guy handling your produce washed his hands first...

Then you have it worse than those avoiding wheat alone because corn is in everything! I think it's easier to avoid wheat than corn.

The spray is pretty good stuff. I buy it in Whole Foods and the citric acid cuts through and really does a good job of removing any waxes. I also wash them for the reason you stated...who knows who or what has been touching the fruit! Gluten seems less of a threat than that these days! :o

Jestgar Rising Star
Then you have it worse than those avoiding wheat alone because corn is in everything! I think it's easier to avoid wheat than corn.

Not a problem at all. I simply make everything from scratch :P:)

:angry:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Not everyone would agree with that statement. If you are celiac, then there are varying degrees of damage to the villi. The Marsh scale measures villi damage. Four (4) is the most severe, and is sometimes called "end stage." At Marsh 4 the villi have been destroyed. Malabsorption is severe, and extreme nutrient deficiencies are evident. Symptoms are severe. A celiac at Marsh 1 may be asymptomatic.

I have to agree with this. I was 'end stage' when diagnosed, many of my organs were effected and I was clearly getting closer and closer to death. The end stage may refer to the total destruction of the villi and may also refer to those of us who have had multiple organ impact that has become severe enough to be life threatening if not diagnosed.

Lisa Mentor
As far as I have read here, no one has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there is no gluten in the wax, or that it's safe.

Well, I gave it a good go. :D Nor has it been proven that waxed produce DO contain gluten, and thus unsafe for the gluten intolerant or those with Celiac. So I guess, each person has to weigh the facts and choose for themselves.

I've enjoyed this thread and have learned a lot.

ann72601 Apprentice
Well, I gave it a good go. :D Nor has it been proven that waxed produce DO contain gluten, and thus unsafe for the gluten intolerant or those with Celiac. So I guess, each person has to weigh the facts and choose for themselves.

I've enjoyed this thread and have learned a lot.

I'm learning a lot too. If it weren't for these forum discussions, I for one, would not know the difference between being glutened, allergic reactions, healing reactions, chemical reactions and all sorts of sensitivities, intolerences and impaired digestion.

Although it has been off-the-track of celiac, it's actually part of the experience for many, if not all of us. The more advanced members probably see this discussion much differently than the newer ones. I'm sure it's old ground and irrevelant in many respects for those who have risen through the ranks. However, for me personally, I value the information and knowing what to expect; knowing that it will get better; knowing all the differences; hearing your personal experiences; and learning how to manuver through the beginnings of a lifelong journey.

Anyway, thanks to you all. You are such a comfort to me daily. My doctor is a small town doctor, and is learning right along with me. If it weren't for the information that I have gotten from this forum, I wouldn't be sitting at the computer today; I have been too sick to get out of bed for many weeks at a time like so many that have offered advice and support.

Ann

Archived