Afternoon

Possible To Treat Symptoms Without Dapsone?

Rate this topic

I don't have health insurance and can't afford a trip to the doctor for a prescription. Are there any herbal or over-the-counter remedies I can try?

This is my first dermatitis flare-up. I am 23 and have been on a gluten-free diet for 9 years, but I started getting fluid-filled blisters a few days ago, after accidental exposure to wheat. I'm hoping they will clear up on their own if I avoid another exposure, but they itch like mad and it's hard not to scratch. Two have apparently become infected as they are weeping a yellow fluid. Please help!

Try some cortizone cream. I think the strongest strength you can get over the counter is 1%.

It will help with the itching, although you make have to reapply it a couple of times throughout the day and evening.

Rite aid has a formulation that combines the cortizone with something to relieve pain, that seems to be more soothing than the ointment.

It should clear up if you avoid gluten (you might also stay away from sources of iodine like iodized salt and shellfish for a little bit). If it doesn't, do you have a public health clinic you could visit on the cheap?

richard