This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Fresh Produce Glutened? Help!

ann72601

ann72601 Apprentice

I have not been successful in going a single day without glutening myself. Either that or I have some terrible allergic reactions. Anyway, I'm trying to track down the source of gluten and I'm left with 1) dog conditioner from the groomers 2) touching something and possibly putting my hands in my mouth?? or 3) Contaminated veggies or fruits.

I can change the first two, but I live in a rural area that does not sell organic produce and it's sometimes 2 weeks before I can go to the closest store. I have washed them and soaked them in baking soda but I don't know how to get rid of gluten on them if they are contaminated.

I'm getting way to sick to leave the house and I just can't seem to get things right even after 7 weeks. If you guys have any advice, please help me. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

We have seen unsubstantiated rumors about contaminated produce here from time to time, but nobody has ever provided credible evidence to back up the rumor.

If you are a celiac in recovery, you may have reactions to foods which are gluten-free while your injured gut heals.

MDRB Explorer

Yep I would have to agree with that. It varies from person to person but it took me a few months to recover and stop getting sick for no reason. Keeping your hands away from your mouth is a tough habit to break but I think its wise to avoid contamination. I doubt the problem is gluten contamination of fresh produce, but you could be having a reaction to something other than gluten, what sort of symptoms are you having??? Oh and also you should check any products that come in contact with your lips/mouth. eg. Lipstick, gloss, toothpaste, mouthwash etc

ann72601 Apprentice
Yep I would have to agree with that. It varies from person to person but it took me a few months to recover and stop getting sick for no reason. Keeping your hands away from your mouth is a tough habit to break but I think its wise to avoid contamination. I doubt the problem is gluten contamination of fresh produce, but you could be having a reaction to something other than gluten, what sort of symptoms are you having??? Oh and also you should check any products that come in contact with your lips/mouth. eg. Lipstick, gloss, toothpaste, mouthwash etc

I did do the complete switch in cosmetics, bath, laundry and kitchen products. I'm still not sure about Cascade though. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

I have many food allergies: Soy, rice, eggs, beef, casein, milk, poultry, and a few in each food group. I'm basically down to a few veggies and a very few fruits. Sugar content seems to be a culprit too.

My symptoms are: very dizzy, tingling in arms and hands, ears ring, teeth and gums hurt, extreme exhaustion,heartburn, palpitations/pounding, chest really hurts, coughing, throat swelling slightly , eyes get all puffy, and indigestion. This starts in as little as 5 minutes or as long as 2 hours. The worse of it lasts about 12 hours.

I seem to be getting better and then it will happen again and I can no longer figure out why, other than what I did today with touching my dogs, putting my hands around my mouth and eating fresh produce. I didn't use any products on me and I used Clorex Brand Naturals to clean around in the kitchen. I have stainless steel cookware and glass dishes that were cleaned with Cascade.

I don't cook directly in any pan but steam my veggies instead. I peel everything I can but some things just can't be. I'm on a rotary diet and don't repeat the same food but every 4 days to avoid developing more allergies/sensitivities. I guess that about covers the routine. Thank you so much for your help. I hope you all are well.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Is the dog's food gluten free? Does the dog lick your hands or face...I know many do? Could you be getting glutened from the dog?

Have you checked your vitamins, any medication you may be on?

Do you eat any processed gluten free foods? Crackers, breads, macaroni, spaghetti? Some of us super sensitives can't eat the processed foods. I keep saying it, so everyone is aware..."Gluten Free" can simply mean, the level of gluten is less than 20ppm, and some of us can not even have 5ppm. Try eating only whole foods, nothing processed for a time, and be careful with the dogs. Dogs are very lovable, :) and love to be in your face, :P those tongues are dangerous! :lol:

ang1e0251 Contributor

What about your seasonings? Have you purged your spices including anything you may have double dipped a gluteny spoon into in another life?

Also some of those symptoms could be helped by sublingual B12. It really helped me. You're not eating anything that might have MSG, are you?

ann72601 Apprentice

I don't ate anything except plain, unseasoned veggies and fruits. I cut the seasonings and dips 3 weeks ago. I can't find any nutritional product, like B12 that isn't at least rice-based and I'm very allergic to rice.

The dogs, since they went to the groomer, could be the problem??? They are small and all over the place, including me.

Thank you again for all your help. If anyone else has some ideas I would love to hear them. I'm down to where I'm afraid to eat at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chuck8268 Rookie
I don't ate anything except plain, unseasoned veggies and fruits. I cut the seasonings and dips 3 weeks ago. I can't find any nutritional product, like B12 that isn't at least rice-based and I'm very allergic to rice.

The dogs, since they went to the groomer, could be the problem??? They are small and all over the place, including me.

Thank you again for all your help. If anyone else has some ideas I would love to hear them. I'm down to where I'm afraid to eat at all.

AllI know Ann,is some of us are VERY sensitive others are not. You are a confirmed celiac,I presume?

And if that is the case,do as I did,everything you eat and put on your body, including letters,vitamins,prescription pills,bath olis,hair shampoo,dog food,EVERYTHING,and one by one check them out.In the meantime eat the pure basics,potatoes,rice,fresh veggoes,meat chicken fish.

It worked for me.

Good luck

Chuck

lovegrov Collaborator

Fresh produce has never appeared on any warning list I know of and EVERYBODY I know with celiac eats fresh produce all the time. That's not your culprit.

richard

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Ann, I want you to keep something in mind. Celiac works in two ways: malnutrition, and the improper autoimmune response. Symptoms like tingles, weakness, dizzyness, and painful gums are USUALLY a result of malnutrition. It may be that most of your Celiac 'symptoms' were from the malnutrition, rather than the autoimmune reaction set of symptoms so many get. I think you really need to try and find some supplements that are safe for you, especially the B-vitamin spectrum. Also, have you considered cod liver oil? It will give you lots of fatty acids and vitamins that are good for your brain, and I can tell you Dr Ron's is made with just veggie capsules, or you can just get the liquid cod liver oil. Have you looked at sublingual B vitamin liquid supplements to see if they're safe?

I will be happy to help you find some supplements that are safe for you. Could you give me your full 'no' list?

VioletBlue Contributor

I have to agree with this. The worst of my problems before and after going gluten-free were caused by malnutrition and low blood volumn. Though I would have killed for just tingling. I got white hot needles stabbing in to my arms and legs instead of tingling :blink:

You also could be describing allergic reactions. Keep in mind that it's not uncommon to be sensitive to plants in the same fmaily, or that are closely related. So if something in the Daisy family causes an allergic reaction, other plants in that family COULD be a problem too. Have you had recent blood work done to check vitamin and mineral levels?

Other auto immune problems travel together with Celiacs; so it might be worth the time and money to have your thyroid levels checked as well, as some of your symptoms could be the result of a malfunctioning thyroid.

Also, I will repeat what I was told when I began this oddessy in December of 06; It takes about 18 months for most people to feel substantially better. Much to my dismay that turned out to be true. I so wanted to beat the odds, but 18 months was in fact the tipping point for me.

Ann, I want you to keep something in mind. Celiac works in two ways: malnutrition, and the improper autoimmune response. Symptoms like tingles, weakness, dizzyness, and painful gums are USUALLY a result of malnutrition. It may be that most of your Celiac 'symptoms' were from the malnutrition, rather than the autoimmune reaction set of symptoms so many get. I think you really need to try and find some supplements that are safe for you, especially the B-vitamin spectrum. Also, have you considered cod liver oil? It will give you lots of fatty acids and vitamins that are good for your brain, and I can tell you Dr Ron's is made with just veggie capsules, or you can just get the liquid cod liver oil. Have you looked at sublingual B vitamin liquid supplements to see if they're safe?

I will be happy to help you find some supplements that are safe for you. Could you give me your full 'no' list?

ann72601 Apprentice

Thank you so much. It would probably be easier to give you what I CAN have. I can only eat one item at a time, 2 hours apart to avoid reactions. However by the end of the day, I react to anything. I assume my gut is full??

Here goes: some fish, but cod looks alright for now; most fruits except for the sweet ones like cantaloupe, peach, blueberry, pineapple, prunes, raisins; veggies are ok, except for white ones; no seasonings have worked out; coconut, pecan, sesame, sunflower; oils have been difficult but I have sesame and coconut for when I can digest the oils. Olive oil hasn't worked out, ew..makes me really sick.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. The one doctor who WILL work with me is 2 hours away and I'm not able to make the trip until I am stronger. I almost gave up last night, thinking that I just can't keep doing this. Malnutrition makes sense now that I think about it. I'll wait until I hear from you before ordering anything.

Have a wonderful day.

Ann

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Thank you so much. It would probably be easier to give you what I CAN have. I can only eat one item at a time, 2 hours apart to avoid reactions. However by the end of the day, I react to anything. I assume my gut is full??

Here goes: some fish, but cod looks alright for now; most fruits except for the sweet ones like cantaloupe, peach, blueberry, pineapple, prunes, raisins; veggies are ok, except for white ones; no seasonings have worked out; coconut, pecan, sesame, sunflower; oils have been difficult but I have sesame and coconut for when I can digest the oils. Olive oil hasn't worked out, ew..makes me really sick.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. The one doctor who WILL work with me is 2 hours away and I'm not able to make the trip until I am stronger. I almost gave up last night, thinking that I just can't keep doing this. Malnutrition makes sense now that I think about it. I'll wait until I hear from you before ordering anything.

Have a wonderful day.

Ann

So, it seems like liquid supplements are probably going to be safest for you. I'll do some research online and see what I can find for you. For now, consider coconut milk. You can poach fish in it, you can make smoothies with the safe fruit (cherry's good if those are safe), you can make soups. It will add lots of fat to your diet. I'm on my way out of work but I will spend some time later today finding B supplements and probably magnesium would be good too. And I can't stress the cod liver oil enough. I'll get back to you today, I'll be posting this info on this thread instead of PMing you in case anyone else is interested.

Also, have you tried honey or agave nectar?

ann72601 Apprentice
So, it seems like liquid supplements are probably going to be safest for you. I'll do some research online and see what I can find for you. For now, consider coconut milk. You can poach fish in it, you can make smoothies with the safe fruit (cherry's good if those are safe), you can make soups. It will add lots of fat to your diet. I'm on my way out of work but I will spend some time later today finding B supplements and probably magnesium would be good too. And I can't stress the cod liver oil enough. I'll get back to you today, I'll be posting this info on this thread instead of PMing you in case anyone else is interested.

Also, have you tried honey or agave nectar?

Anything too sweet has been a problem but I could probably dilute it starting out. I will order the oil today. I actually contacted them this morning to make sure the vitamin E was not from grain, which it was not. Another good thing to know for those who can't handle grains.

I can't wait to try the coconut milk. I never thought about it, and it's so true about the need for fat! I have been so fat hungry that I knew I was needing it but haven't successfully been able to digest it.

Thank you so much! I will look forward to this day.

Ann

ang1e0251 Contributor

You can find magnesium oil to apply to your skin and salts for bathing in here:

Open Original Shared Link

These might not give you the full dose you need but might help you supplement what you can take.

VioletBlue Contributor

Some fruits like melons have a high glycemic index. That means they contain a high amount of sugars that metabolise very fast. The fact that you're eating one food at a time is a problem with fruits or anything with a higher sugar content. You're literally getting a big push of sugar that can cause nausea and digestive problems. Were you eating the fruit together with other foods or immediately after other foods the reaction might not be quite so pronounced. The quick drop off after that push of sugar metabolises could cause problems as well. Meals really need to be balanced so that proteins and carbs create a steady strea of nutrients. Carbs metabolise faster, proteins take longer. The ideal meal is a balance of fast and slow metabolising foods that provide noursihment over a period of hours.

Anything too sweet has been a problem but I could probably dilute it starting out. I will order the oil today. I actually contacted them this morning to make sure the vitamin E was not from grain, which it was not. Another good thing to know for those who can't handle grains.

I can't wait to try the coconut milk. I never thought about it, and it's so true about the need for fat! I have been so fat hungry that I knew I was needing it but haven't successfully been able to digest it.

Thank you so much! I will look forward to this day.

Ann

ann72601 Apprentice
You can find magnesium oil to apply to your skin and salts for bathing in here:

Open Original Shared Link

These might not give you the full dose you need but might help you supplement what you can take.

Thank you!! I just went in and looked at the site. Looks great!!

ann72601 Apprentice
Some fruits like melons have a high glycemic index. That means they contain a high amount of sugars that metabolise very fast. The fact that you're eating one food at a time is a problem with fruits or anything with a higher sugar content. You're literally getting a big push of sugar that can cause nausea and digestive problems. Were you eating the fruit together with other foods or immediately after other foods the reaction might not be quite so pronounced. The quick drop off after that push of sugar metabolises could cause problems as well. Meals really need to be balanced so that proteins and carbs create a steady strea of nutrients. Carbs metabolise faster, proteins take longer. The ideal meal is a balance of fast and slow metabolising foods that provide noursihment over a period of hours.

Thank you. I have had problems with eating, period and chose to eat one thing at a time because I didn't get so sick. I will try combining but very tiny portions and see if that helps at all. I appreciate the help.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'm sure by this point, you have done just about everything possible to eliminate gluten. I just wanted to brainstorm hidden sources in case there is a culprit lurking around. I agree malnutrition is high on my suspicion list for you though.

I hope this isn't insulting, but have you:

Checked:

pet food

bird food-indoor/out (what a relief that was when I got the bird on oat based instead of wheat based food).

denture products

medications (generics can change base ingredients monthly without notice).

pest baits (I'm thinking slug repellent and similar)

soap at outside facilities (I carry my own because my employer's contains gluten).

straw hats/wreaths/dried flowers

Cooking appliances (my vegetable steamer was a source because I had cooked noodles in the plastic regularly before)

cutting boards

wooden utensils

can openers

crumbs in drawers

Is your house gluten free? I got better about the time I made my husband cut gluten for 2+ weeks which turned into 2+ months. Now we know the rules better and has reintroduced gradulally.

Many of these are things that other people wouldn't need to worry about, but if you are super sensitive, you may need to be extra careful.

I'm at 11.5 months, and I found a source 3 weeks ago.

I also find that I feel terrible if I don't have enough salt in the day. Now that you are not getting processed food, you may need to be more liberal with the salt.

I hope you are moving toward recovery soon and that the other poster finds you a safe nutritional supplement.

ann72601 Apprentice
I'm sure by this point, you have done just about everything possible to eliminate gluten. I just wanted to brainstorm hidden sources in case there is a culprit lurking around. I agree malnutrition is high on my suspicion list for you though.

I hope this isn't insulting, but have you:

Checked:

pet food

bird food-indoor/out (what a relief that was when I got the bird on oat based instead of wheat based food).

denture products

medications (generics can change base ingredients monthly without notice).

pest baits (I'm thinking slug repellent and similar)

soap at outside facilities (I carry my own because my employer's contains gluten).

straw hats/wreaths/dried flowers

Cooking appliances (my vegetable steamer was a source because I had cooked noodles in the plastic regularly before)

cutting boards

wooden utensils

can openers

crumbs in drawers

Is your house gluten free? I got better about the time I made my husband cut gluten for 2+ weeks which turned into 2+ months. Now we know the rules better and has reintroduced gradulally.

Many of these are things that other people wouldn't need to worry about, but if you are super sensitive, you may need to be extra careful.

I'm at 11.5 months, and I found a source 3 weeks ago.

I also find that I feel terrible if I don't have enough salt in the day. Now that you are not getting processed food, you may need to be more liberal with the salt.

I hope you are moving toward recovery soon and that the other poster finds you a safe nutritional supplement.

Thank you for taking the time to list all these possibilities. I'm down to the wire with it either being the produce or the stainless steel pans, but who knows? I have so many allergies, it could be anything at this point. I have also learned that malnutrition is probably an issue. Someone posted a reply and pointed that out to me. I'm taking everyone's ideas and making use of them.

Thanks to all for your help.

Ann

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Hi Ann, I love it when people put in a whole bunch of responses to a question. I always find something that I wouldn't have thought of on my own! I did want to add or reiterate a couple of points............

1. Dog Food - I have to buy grain free dog food. I've been sick twice from breathing dog food dust, once from pouring the big bag into the feeder, once from vacuuming up dog food the mice had hidden in a storage closet.

2. coconut milk - it really helped me keep my healthy fats and energy up when I was sick and afraid to eat anything. I fried my eggs in it, I poured it in my coffee, dipped my meat in it......

3. veggies - I developed allergies to some of my favorite veggies. I think it was a leaky gut thing. But those allergies have subsided. Celery was really hard on me for a bit so anything with celery seed in it like ketchup was impossible. Its only been 5 months since my dx and celery doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I hope you are feeling better soon! :)

RA

ann72601 Apprentice
Hi Ann, I love it when people put in a whole bunch of responses to a question. I always find something that I wouldn't have thought of on my own! I did want to add or reiterate a couple of points............

1. Dog Food - I have to buy grain free dog food. I've been sick twice from breathing dog food dust, once from pouring the big bag into the feeder, once from vacuuming up dog food the mice had hidden in a storage closet.

2. coconut milk - it really helped me keep my healthy fats and energy up when I was sick and afraid to eat anything. I fried my eggs in it, I poured it in my coffee, dipped my meat in it......

3. veggies - I developed allergies to some of my favorite veggies. I think it was a leaky gut thing. But those allergies have subsided. Celery was really hard on me for a bit so anything with celery seed in it like ketchup was impossible. Its only been 5 months since my dx and celery doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I hope you are feeling better soon! :)

RA

Thank you so much!! I was told by another posted to add coconut milk. I was so fat-hungry and didn't know it. I am trying to learn to use it correctly, but I would appreciate any suggestions. I drank it straight out of the can!! I don't usually do stuff like that, but like I said, I was so hungry for fat. Recipes anyone?

I had a couple of bad days but I'm up again. How are you? I hope you are having a healthy and happy week-end. Thank you again for these suggestions! I don't know what I would do without you all.

Ann

Karrin Rookie

I have read that the wax coating they put on apples in the supermarkets can have gluten in them and to avoid eating them. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but since I don't dare buy from any place other than a local apple orchard I love. Once they're out of season though I'll really miss my apples! :(

I also notice a coating of wax on turnips too, though again I'm not sure about the status there of gluten.

Lisa Mentor
I have read that the wax coating they put on apples in the supermarkets can have gluten in them and to avoid eating them. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but since I don't dare buy from any place other than a local apple orchard I love. Once they're out of season though I'll really miss my apples! :(

I also notice a coating of wax on turnips too, though again I'm not sure about the status there of gluten.

Here is a thread you may be interested in:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...c=61096&hl=

ann72601 Apprentice
Here is a thread you may be interested in:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...c=61096&hl=

What I found really strange is the fact that I peeled the ones that could be peeled and still reacted. That can only be that whatever it is, can go deeper than the surface. Maybe when I'm further along and healed more I will be able to handle smaller amounts of problem ingredients, but I can't now.

Thank you for the thread!! and your comment.

Ann

Archived