Kirian

Contact Reaction?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for a few months now, and just a week ago started on an elimination diet. I am not eating anything that could cause intolerance issues. My system was just so overloaded, I needed to do something more, that I am pretty certain I have other intolerances.

Tonight, before going to bed, I slathered on my favorite Bath and Body Works lotion. Within minutes my skin started to turn red, bumpy, itchy, and it burned a bit too. I jumped in the shower and scrubbed vigorously a few times. The only odd thing that sticks out to me in that lotion is that it has oats. Could I really have reacted to the oats in this, or is my body just becoming more sensitive in general as it clears out and starts to heal?

I have never had this reaction to their products before, and have used them for years.

Thanks for any advice,

Itchy in NY :)

Isn't it weird that we can have a new reaction pop up at any time? Yeah it can happen. I'm fighting a rash on my legs after I bought new sensitive skin razors. It didn't say on the package but I bet it has Vitamin E which is often from wheat. sigh...

We can have a skin allergy to wheat or oats in addition to celiac disease. I probably do as I tend to react topically. Others it doesn't seem to bother. Sorry you had a bad reaction. I know I can't handle products with oats either.

Isn't it weird that we can have a new reaction pop up at any time? Yeah it can happen. I'm fighting a rash on my legs after I bought new sensitive skin razors. It didn't say on the package but I bet it has Vitamin E which is often from wheat. sigh...

We can have a skin allergy to wheat or oats in addition to celiac disease. I probably do as I tend to react topically. Others it doesn't seem to bother. Sorry you had a bad reaction. I know I can't handle products with oats either.

Thank you for the feedback, and the sympathy. Vitamin E, huh?! That is in their lotions too. One more reason to pass them on to a new home.

I really need to re-educate myself on ingredients to be on the lookout for. I was gluten free for about a year in '06 to '07. I am finally coming to terms with the fact that this is a REAL problem, and I have to stop hurting myself by eating gluten. I seem to have forgotten some of the basics, and will have to take the time to learn them again.

I am still kind of itchy in spots today, but I caught it quickly enough (I took a Zyrtec too when it happened). I am sorry to hear you reacted to those razors. That really sucks. You think you are being so careful, and then...bam!

I too have had to eliminate oats and beta glucans and wheat based vitamin E. Fortunately there are alternatives out there. Some vitamin E is OK--it just has to be not wheat based. I like to use Desert Essence Organics lotions and shampoo--though more often I use TJ's simple, cheap Pure Castile Soap for my hair and their also cheap tea tree oil soap.

Bea