This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Need An Official Diagnosis?

annie32

annie32 Newbie

Hi everyone. I am new here. I have had IBS since I was a teen and went to a chiropractor in June and she diagnosed me as gluten intolerant after some applied kineseology testing. She put various vials on my abdomen and tested my muscle reaction. I went off gluten and noticed within a few days that my gas, loose stools, intestinal and stomach pains, and mental fogginess were gone. I ate no gluten for two months. Now I am pregnant and finding myself craving carbs since no food sounds good to me. I thought I would test things out and have been eating gluten for a week. All of my symptoms have returned and they come on quickly after consuming the wheat.

What I am wondering is, does everyone need to have an official diagnosis? I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist but couldn't get in until October. I don't want to go Gluten-Free again and then have to eat it again for the tests. I already know it makes me sick. But, I do want to know if I have a gluten intolerance vs. celiac disease. I feel if I have celiac, then I need to be even more vigilant with my diet and also have my children tested. Should I try to get in sooner with another doctor? The doctors office told me I could stop eating gluten until my appointment and then the doctor would talk with me about his recommendations. What type of testing did you have? Thanks for any advice you could give.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I don't think they would scope a pregnant person and the blood work would be invalid since you haven't been eating gluten long enough. My concern for you, since you've had issues for a long time, would be vitamin and mineral shortages. A baby will take what it needs from the mother regardless if it leaves her short. You may not have it to spare right now and that can make your own health take a nosedive. Not something a new mom needs to worry about! But your OB/Gyn can easily run the blood work and tell you what you need. After you have the baby I would say see someone and get scoped. Not so much for an "official" diagnosis, but to look at your small bowel and see where you stand. You can, especially after going undiagnosed for a while, have other issues.

Please don't eat gluten if it makes you sick! :( I'll worry about you! Do you need some carb recommendations to help satisfy your cravings? I like Mrs. Leeper's corn pasta the best.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and your good health!

momxyz Contributor

"ditto" on the advice to eat well. You deserve to satisfy your cravings!

Gluten free does not equal no carbs! (Ok, probably telling you something you already know, but just in case...)

I love brown rice, that's my staple carb. Buttered rice with a nice piece of fish and some green beans...yum! Or brown rice with butternut squash and some chicken....

I make a very simple brown rice flour cracker, seasoned with a little basil - these are easy to make and very satisfying to snack on.

MKat Explorer
"ditto" on the advice to eat well. You deserve to satisfy your cravings!

Gluten free does not equal no carbs! (Ok, probably telling you something you already know, but just in case...)

I love brown rice, that's my staple carb. Buttered rice with a nice piece of fish and some green beans...yum! Or brown rice with butternut squash and some chicken....

I make a very simple brown rice flour cracker, seasoned with a little basil - these are easy to make and very satisfying to snack on.

Can you post your cracker recipe, please??:)

Archived