Rate this topic

I got my TTG Ab, IgA results yesterday and the immunologist says that I am positive for Celiac. He says that I do not need a biopsy to confirm. Is this true? Should I be insisting on a biopsy anyway? Are there any other benefits to getting a biopsy?

Reference Range:

Negative: < 5

Equivocal: 5-8

Positive: > 8

My Results: 17

I have not had an endoscopy for celiac disease. But I understand that some like to have it done to measure the extent of the damage and also just to double check there are no cancer cells. I think that is your own personal decision.

I have not had an endoscopy for celiac disease. But I understand that some like to have it done to measure the extent of the damage and also just to double check there are no cancer cells. I think that is your own personal decision.

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought about the cancer part. I put in a call to my doctor. Thanks again.

Hi,

There is a great book called "Healthier Without Wheat" by Dr. Stephen Wagner and he explains how a biopsy may not necessarily be needed. It certainly is a personal decision. I've had two endoscopies with no problems at all but for our children we decided they were just too invasive. It's different for kids those; they use a general. It's just heavy sedation for adults.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi,

There is a great book called "Healthier Without Wheat" by Dr. Stephen Wagner and he explains how a biopsy may not necessarily be needed. It certainly is a personal decision. I've had two endoscopies with no problems at all but for our children we decided they were just too invasive. It's different for kids those; they use a general. It's just heavy sedation for adults.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been gluten free for 4 days now and am slowly feeling better. I'm really glad to finally have answers as to why I was having so many health problems.

mpadilla2