unless

Should I Request More Tests?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I was suspecting celiac disease and got these preliminary blood results from my PCP:

GLIADIN ANTIBODY (IGA): 14 U/mL

REFERENCE RANGE:

<11 NEGATIVE

11-17 EQUIVOCAL

>17 POSITIVE

GLIADIN ANTIBODY (IGG): 72 U/mL

REFERENCE RANGE:

<11 NEGATIVE

11-17 EQUIVOCAL

>17 POSITIVE

My PCP didn't order any other celiac panel tests, only those above, and referred me to a GI doctor. The GI doctor did not see that any further blood testing would be necessary, and scheduled a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to confirm diagnosis. The results of the biopsy were perfectly normal, he said.

I asked him about the possibility of tissue transglutaminase testing, or a more specific test than just AGA, just to rule out celiac, but he said that because biopsy testing is the 'gold standard' for the disease, that no further testing is at all necessary. He said I can safely resume a normal, glutenous diet without worry.

But this does nothing to explain those high IgG levels. Should I force him to order additional testing? Or do I just assume I have leaky gut but not celiac?

I would start the diet. Your IGG is a strong positive and endoscopies can have a false negative.

Yes, if you google ford gluten you get Dr. Ford's website and he explains why the antigliadin IgG is important.

(it means you are at least gluten intolerant, maybe even celiac, as the first thing rising in early celiac is often this test)