Lizajp9

How Much Is Enough?

Rate this topic

I have reason to believe I have Celiac or at least a gluten intolerance. I have ALL the classic symptoms except for constipation, and the HD. I was just wondering before I make my dr.'s appointment for the test, just how MUCH gluten should I be eating? I figure I could handle at least one gluten containing meal a day. Or do I have to O.D. on the stuff for the antibodies to show up in the blood? I've FINALLY broken free from the toilet & don't want to be chained to it again for another 2-3 months. I started avoiding gluten a few weeks ago, and the gas, bloating, and diarrhea went away almost immediately. Then a few weeks ago at work I ate 2 Oreo cookies & they almost killed me! I barely made it home to the bathroom. It could have been very ugly. Anyway, I was just wondering about the amount of gluten that needs to be consumed for a positive result.

Thanks

The research organizations recommend 3-4 slices (or equivalent) pieces of bread a day for six to eight weeks.

If you know that gluten is your problem, you should know that many here are self diagnosed and feel quite comfortable with that conclusion.

If you would like to be tested. This is what you should request from your doctor:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Thanks. It kinda sucks that you have to tell the drs. what to test for. Hopefully I'll find one that's at least HEARD of celiac.