This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Too Many Potatoes!

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I usually use Yukon Gold potatoes for everything I make that calls for potatoes. But recently I purchased a huge bag of small red ones at Costco. Why? They were very cheap. I know I can put them in soup when the weather gets more chilly. Too hot for that now. And I can roast them or do them up in the crock pot. I like to do them whole or cut in pieces with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little parsley.

But then I went and made things worse today by buying 10 pounds of Russet potatoes! I am going to make faux pierogies tomorrow and I find these work the best. I was going to buy three or four large ones, but when I saw that the 10 pound bags were only $1.99, I couldn't pass it up!

But now what do I do with them all!? My husband will be home in a week or two and I plan to serve a lot of potatoes then.

I can't have eggs or dairy and we try to avoid soy. The only potato recipe I found that we could eat called for Yukon Golds and nobody much liked it for me. Same for the potato and leek soup I made.

Daughter does like stuffed baked potatoes. I do them with rice milk, green onion and nutritional yeast.

I guess I could do a cottage or shepards type pie once it cools off.

But what else can I make with these two kinds of potatoes? I guess I am just used to using the Yukon Golds.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

german potato salad! yum!

Juliebove Rising Star
german potato salad! yum!

Hmmm... That's one thing I've never made because my dad said his mom used to make it and it gave him nightmares. What's in it? Vinegar? If so, that sounds like the stuff I made with the Yukon Golds. I think it just had vinegar, sliced onions and sliced potatoes. I liked it okay but nobody else did.

Juliebove Rising Star

They might eat this! This one looks a little different than the others I've seen. Does it look like what you are talking about?

Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hmmm... That's one thing I've never made because my dad said his mom used to make it and it gave him nightmares. What's in it? Vinegar? If so, that sounds like the stuff I made with the Yukon Golds. I think it just had vinegar, sliced onions and sliced potatoes. I liked it okay but nobody else did.

I'd look up recipes and find one you like. Most of the ones I know are made with bacon, but I made a vegetarian one once that was essentially roasted potato (cubed) and a good italian dressing (plenty of garlic, herbs, and oil - some vinegar, but I used white balsamic so it didn't have the acidic taste).

EDIT: Hah! I posted this while you posted your link. Yup, much like that, only I was lazy and didn't include the onions. Caramelize the onions and use the bacon and man would that be good. (Now I have to go buy bacon... :P)

Juliebove Rising Star
I'd look up recipes and find one you like. Most of the ones I know are made with bacon, but I made a vegetarian one once that was essentially roasted potato (cubed) and a good italian dressing (plenty of garlic, herbs, and oil - some vinegar, but I used white balsamic so it didn't have the acidic taste).

EDIT: Hah! I posted this while you posted your link. Yup, much like that, only I was lazy and didn't include the onions. Caramelize the onions and use the bacon and man would that be good. (Now I have to go buy bacon... :P)

Okay, I'll try that. I have bacon, if it's still fresh! Bought two packages at Costco. Eveyone was eating bacon for a while and then they quit!

jststric Contributor

hash browns, homemade hash, potato pancakes, latkes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mskedi Newbie

The only thing I can think of is a whole bunch of mashed potatoes. :)

But more importantly... do you have a recipe for those pierogies? That's one of the dishes on my "I absolutely can't live without these" list that I haven't attacked yet.

Nancym Enthusiast

I suppose you could pre-cook them and freeze them then add them to stews later on. I've found frozen mashed potatoes too at Trader Joe's, another way to pre-process them.

Jestgar Rising Star

Twice baked potatoes.

Bake 'em, stuff 'em with something, then put 'em in the freezer.

Bake again when you want taters.

runningcrazy Contributor

You can peel and cut them into thin strips. Mix with olive oil and salt. Put them on a baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes at like 350 or until they look like and taste like fries. These are delicious and not dripping in deep fried trans fat grease!

Or if you can have dairy, make lasagna, but use fairly thin slices of potatoes in place of the lasagna noodles. This is delicious too.

Also I dont know if you mentioned it, but you could just make a potato salad if you get some celery and pickles and if you can have mayo and mustard, if you like potato salad.

hannahp57 Contributor

there's a mashed potato casserole i make that everyone loves.

cook your potatoes, mash them with butter, cream cheese, and sour cream, pour in a 13*9 pan and cover with cheddar cheese (i mix a little in with the rest of the mixture) and bake for somewhere around 30-45 minutes. oh yeah and of course i use salt, pepper, and garlic powder

you can make homemade french fries :)

twice baked potatoes

scalloped potatoes

potatoes au gratin (basically scalloped with cheese i think)

cheddar and potato soup

im a big big potato fan if you cant tell

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

But more importantly... do you have a recipe for those pierogies? That's one of the dishes on my "I absolutely can't live without these" list that I haven't attacked yet.

I just happened to remember she had a thread about this about a month ago: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=59888

ang1e0251 Contributor

My sister makes cheese potatoes that are legendary!

Boil potatoes until cooked; cool, then peel and shred (like a hash brown).

Spread a layer in a 9" x 12" pan, sprinkle with seasoned salt, onion powder or diced onions and a layer of your favorite shredded cheese. Build the layers until you've reach almost to the top of the pan then pour whipping cream over the entire mixture. In your case substitute your dairy substitute for the cream or coconut milk.

Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly then add another layer of cheese and bake until melted and serve. M-m-m-m yummy!

halfrunner Apprentice

I have three words for you:

homemade potato chips:D

Cut them really thin. Then e ither rub them with a little bit of oil and bake them at really, really high heat until crispy (I use nonstick spray coated aluminum foil or they stick like mad) or fry them

Juliebove Rising Star

I did post it here before, but I'll tell you again.

What I started with were Tinkyada large shells, cooked and cooled. I then cooked and mashed some Russet potatoes. I used 6 super huge potatoes and 2 boxes of shells. This was too many shells! 1 1/2 boxes would have been a better amount.

I finely chopped about 1/2 of a small Walla Walla Sweet onion and sauteed it in Nucoa margarine. I mashed this in with the potatoes, adding more margarine to get them a little softer. Also added salt to taste and plenty of black pepper.

I then sauteed 2 or 3 (can't remember) large onions, sliced. I put a layer of these on the bottom of a casserole dish. I then stuffed the shells with the potatoes.

I put the stuffed shells in the casserole and covered them with the onions, drizzling the extra melted margarine over the top.

I then baked them at 350 until heated through.

Obviously not real Pierogies, but the taste was the same.

Juliebove Rising Star
hash browns, homemade hash, potato pancakes, latkes

I could do the first two, but don't the others have egg?

Juliebove Rising Star
You can peel and cut them into thin strips. Mix with olive oil and salt. Put them on a baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes at like 350 or until they look like and taste like fries. These are delicious and not dripping in deep fried trans fat grease!

Or if you can have dairy, make lasagna, but use fairly thin slices of potatoes in place of the lasagna noodles. This is delicious too.

Also I dont know if you mentioned it, but you could just make a potato salad if you get some celery and pickles and if you can have mayo and mustard, if you like potato salad.

I make these all the time but don't peel and I cut in wedges or chunks.

Can't have mayo.

Juliebove Rising Star
there's a mashed potato casserole i make that everyone loves.

cook your potatoes, mash them with butter, cream cheese, and sour cream, pour in a 13*9 pan and cover with cheddar cheese (i mix a little in with the rest of the mixture) and bake for somewhere around 30-45 minutes. oh yeah and of course i use salt, pepper, and garlic powder

you can make homemade french fries :)

twice baked potatoes

scalloped potatoes

potatoes au gratin (basically scalloped with cheese i think)

cheddar and potato soup

im a big big potato fan if you cant tell

Can't have dairy.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

One of my favorite things to do with potatos is to make what I call el cheapo burger soup. Brown ground beef with onion and spices, add water or broth, diced potatoes, and simmer until potatoes are tender. I've done this with and without dairy, you could top it with that fake cheese you were talking about a while ago. I like it because it's not on the stove for very long and it doesn't take much effort. I also leave the beef covered while it's browning so you get lots of beef juice, lowfat's never been one of my concerns, in case you couldnt tell. This works good with every kind of potato.

I also think you can shred taters and mush them into patties and fry em without egg, but I'll think on it. I know I've got other ideas in there, I'll get back to you.

Juliebove Rising Star
One of my favorite things to do with potatos is to make what I call el cheapo burger soup. Brown ground beef with onion and spices, add water or broth, diced potatoes, and simmer until potatoes are tender. I've done this with and without dairy, you could top it with that fake cheese you were talking about a while ago. I like it because it's not on the stove for very long and it doesn't take much effort. I also leave the beef covered while it's browning so you get lots of beef juice, lowfat's never been one of my concerns, in case you couldnt tell. This works good with every kind of potato.

I also think you can shred taters and mush them into patties and fry em without egg, but I'll think on it. I know I've got other ideas in there, I'll get back to you.

I make something like that but with a tomato base.

ranger Enthusiast

I hauled out the old crock pot and tomorro, I'm going to put chicken thighs in the bottom and slather them with pesto. Then, I'm going to slice some baking potatoes not quite all the way through in about 1/2 inch intervals and stuff each slash with thinly sliced garlic and place them on the chk, and cook for 8 hours. Will let you know if it works.

Juliebove Rising Star
I hauled out the old crock pot and tomorro, I'm going to put chicken thighs in the bottom and slather them with pesto. Then, I'm going to slice some baking potatoes not quite all the way through in about 1/2 inch intervals and stuff each slash with thinly sliced garlic and place them on the chk, and cook for 8 hours. Will let you know if it works.

Okay. I have done chicken breasts and potatoes before. Was okay but kind of bland. I've never tried pesto, but I'm not too keen on garlic.

runningcrazy Contributor
I make these all the time but don't peel and I cut in wedges or chunks.

Can't have mayo.

Is it because of soybean oil or eggs? Our local health food store sells veganaise which is mayo with no eggs, it also uses canola oil so there's no soy either

runningcrazy Contributor

Another thing, I've seen a few recipes online that use cold mashed potatoes in place of flour in recipes. You may need to cut down on the liquids in the recipe as the mashed potatoes probably make it more moist. Just a thought~

Archived