This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Zyrtec

glutengal

glutengal Contributor

Went to buy some zyrtec today as the www.glutenfreedrugs.com states it as gluten free but just to be safe I called the company and was told all the zytrec products child and adult have not been tested for gluten and they could not guarantee that it is gluten free. Just thought some of you may want to be updated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jnclelland Contributor
Went to buy some zyrtec today as the www.glutenfreedrugs.com states it as gluten free but just to be safe I called the company and was told all the zytrec products child and adult have not been tested for gluten and they could not guarantee that it is gluten free. Just thought some of you may want to be updated.

That's a typical CYA response. There's no obvious source of gluten in Zyrtec, and I take it regularly with no problems.

Jeanne

lpellegr Collaborator

Ditto. I've taken it every day for years, and no gluten reaction.

mstroud Rookie

This summer my 8 year old needed to be put on an allergy med after he broke out with hives. I called to check on Zyrtec after it was prescribed by his pediatrician and was told that all of the children's Zyrtec products contain gluten. The only one she was not sure about was the syrup which was 'purchased from another company and the formula hadn't changed ... if it was gluten-free before, it is now.' We went with Claritin and had no problems. Maybe the adult versions have a different formula?

brigala Explorer

Was the children's version chewable? I think that would be likely to make a difference in formulation.

This is an important question for me; I'm taking a version of Allegra now but if we end up having any more children I'll have to switch back to Zyrtec; it's the only one safe for pregnancy. I am quite literally not sure I would survive without an antihistamine entirely.

I've taken Zyrtec in the past with no problem, but not within the last year or so I think. Is there any way to get a definitive answer? It sounds like people are getting different answers when calling the company. Which answer can be trusted? Is it just "not tested" for gluten, or does it actually have a gluten-containing ingredient? If I call and get an answer, what do I believe if it's different from what they've told other people?

mstroud Rookie

The woman I spoke with at Zyrtec seemed to know what was talking about. She said the chewables DID contain gluten. The explaination she gave for the liquid was a little too vague for me to try it on my son who was already dealing with a strange reaction.

I totally agree with the confusion on who to believe! I'll bet there are better websites or books out now that are more accurate about what meds are gluten-free and what are not. At least, I hope so! Good luck!

brigala Explorer

Well, I put in email inquiries to Zyrtec as well as several generic makers of Cetirizine HCl, including the Costco and Sam's Club house brands and the brand I can buy at the Kaiser pharmacy. I'll let you all know whether I get any useful written information back from any of those companies.

I sure hope one or more of these brands comes back with a good knowledgeable and positive answer.

-Elizabeth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

One way I have found to get what seems to be a better answer from companies about drugs is I tell them I am allergic to wheat. I ask if wheat or any of it's chemical derivities is in the item. I don't ask if the item is gluten free mainly because in some places wheat starch can be considered gluten free through processing. I figure the likelyhood of rye or barley being in a pill is low but the chance of wheat starch being in there is not. Also since corn has a 'gluten' if corn is in the item folks without a lot of knowledge might say that an item has gluten if corn is in it.

larry mac Enthusiast

I take it occasionally. I also take Claritin. I try to alternate somewhat so as to avoid building a tolerance for either one.

I must have evidence that it contains a wheat ingredient to discontinue taking it. Just because "they" won't guarantee it to be gluten-free means nothing to me. It certainly doesn't mean it is not gluten-free, as the topic title suggests. In my humble opinion anyway. B)

best regards, lm

brigala Explorer

This was a singularly unhelpful response received by one of the generic companies making a version of Zyrtec:

Thank you for your inquiry. Please consult with your Pharmacist or Physician. If they are unable to answer your questions listed below, please have them contact our drug information line at 1.800.667.4708 where they can expedite these types of questions.

This line is for the Pharmacist or Physician only.

Your Pharmacist and Physician are responsible for providing you with the appropriate medication.

For more information on this product, please refer to the product package insert (prescribing information) which is available on our website at www.apotexcorp.com/products. Enter in the name of the product on the search browser, click on detail then, click on prescribing information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please let me know if you are outside of the U.S..

Amelia Rocher

Apotex Corp.

Customer Support Analyst

I'll let you know if I get any other responses. :P

brigala Explorer

This is a much more helpful answer! Looks like I'll be buying my "zyrtec" at Costco!

Re: Kirkland Signature Questions [#2180179]

Date: Mon Aug 31 11:33:09 2009

Dear Elizabeth, Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale. Yes, it is gluten free.

Thank you,

Beth

Costco Wholesale Corporation Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 08/25/2009 22:01:54 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text: Hi! I need to know whether your Kirkland Signature Aller-Tec Cetirizine HCl Tablets contain any gluten in them. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
NYCCeliacMom Apprentice

I was on hold with Costco about its zyrtec equivalent and came up this thread. I was surprised to hear the company that makes zyrtec was so unresponsive. They told me some time ago that the tablets were gluten free. I will post again what I hear from Costco but it sounds like theirs is gluten-free. I have been using the Target equivelent but have to call up every time I get a new lot number to confirm that it is okay. This is time consuming and costco's is much less expensive.

NYCCeliacMom Apprentice
I was on hold with Costco about its zyrtec equivalent and came up this thread. I was surprised to hear the company that makes zyrtec was so unresponsive. They told me some time ago that the tablets were gluten free. I will post again what I hear from Costco but it sounds like theirs is gluten-free. I have been using the Target equivelent but have to call up every time I get a new lot number to confirm that it is okay. This is time consuming and costco's is much less expensive.

Additional note on the Costo Zyrtec analog: I had a call from someone in their pharmacy department. She had forwarded my request on but said that she had read the ingredients online and there was no gluten in the Aller-tec. However, she was expecting to see "gluten" as a ingredient. Several days later I received call from the company that supplies some of the Aller-tec to Costco. The company name is Perrigo. He asked for the lot number on the back of the bottle and verified that the one I had purchased was gluten free. He said his company was working on labeling medications as gluten free and advised calling the customer service number of his company to verify gluten status: 1-800-719-2960. The Costco brand is Kirkland Aller-tec 365. which was $16.00 for 365 pills.

GFLisa Newbie

GAH! This thread scared me for a minute until I started reading more. I take Zyrtec, because it's the only allergy medicine I can handle during the day w/o knocking myself out. I also have friend (who happens to be a member here) who gives the children's version to her DS.

One way I have found to get what seems to be a better answer from companies about drugs is I tell them I am allergic to wheat. I ask if wheat or any of it's chemical derivities is in the item. I don't ask if the item is gluten free mainly because in some places wheat starch can be considered gluten free through processing. I figure the likelyhood of rye or barley being in a pill is low but the chance of wheat starch being in there is not. Also since corn has a 'gluten' if corn is in the item folks without a lot of knowledge might say that an item has gluten if corn is in it.

I have found this to be the case as well. I usually get much further this way, but do I also check barley because my DD has an allergic reaction when exposed to it. Sad to say, but people are more scared of sending someone into anaphylatic shock than "upsetting their stomach."

Archived