Rate this topic

Hi,

I have recently figured out with the tremendous help of a naturapathic doctor (and previous family history and syptoms) that I am gluten and dairy intolerant. One of my children is also intolerent of gluten and dairy. We have begun the gluten-free/cf lifestyle/diet in our household of 5. Since eliminating gluten and dairy as of 8/5 of this year, I have been feeling really good. I have had more energy than I have had since my various symptoms began 6 years ago. I have been sleeping better at night and am no longer bloated or lethargic. The one "side effect" (if thats what you would call it) is that both my husband and myself have been experiencing hip pain. Neither of us have ever had hip pain previously. Mine started in the right hip now its both. His is the left hip only. Has anyone experienced this? Could we suddenly be lacking something? I am very consious of making sure we are consuming enough calcium. Any input would be appreciated.

Calcium can't work properly without magnesium. Dr. Carolyn Dean recommends 600 mgs for a normal size adult. Work up to that dose slowly to avoid D.

Our doctor said that it would take a while to become deficient in a vitamin or mineral since Americans usually are not deficient. I don't know how much I believe that though because if you have problems absorbing food you can very well be deficient. Maybe you were "on the cusp" and now with your recent dietary change you need a supplement. However, remember that calcium is found in other foods besides milk/dairy. I agree about magnesium. I never realized how important it is until recently and now I take a supplement everyday.

Good luck!

Our doctor said that it would take a while to become deficient in a vitamin or mineral since Americans usually are not deficient. I don't know how much I believe that though because if you have problems absorbing food you can very well be deficient.

I wonder if doctors ever listen to the stupid things that come out of their mouth. Even gluten free, I can't get enough nutrients from my food. He/she is so wrong. I am betting there are more people deficient in America than the so called healthy people.

I have hip problems, and so far, absolutely no problems with calcium. I had a bone density test doen year before last, and was fine. The weird thing is both of you having this happen at the same time.

My hip pain seems to be arthritis, or neuropathy related. Maybe you both need Vit B12...have you had your levels checked. It would be a good idea to have it checked before taking the supplement though. Anything below 500 should be supplement, especially in gluten intolerant people.

I take Jarrow Methylcobalamin B12...no side effects, no gluten.

Hi,

I have recently figured out with the tremendous help of a naturapathic doctor (and previous family history and syptoms) that I am gluten and dairy intolerant. One of my children is also intolerent of gluten and dairy. We have begun the gluten-free/cf lifestyle/diet in our household of 5. Since eliminating gluten and dairy as of 8/5 of this year, I have been feeling really good. I have had more energy than I have had since my various symptoms began 6 years ago. I have been sleeping better at night and am no longer bloated or lethargic. The one "side effect" (if thats what you would call it) is that both my husband and myself have been experiencing hip pain. Neither of us have ever had hip pain previously. Mine started in the right hip now its both. His is the left hip only. Has anyone experienced this? Could we suddenly be lacking something? I am very consious of making sure we are consuming enough calcium. Any input would be appreciated.

I only started feeling hip pain 3 years post celiac disease diagnosis, but that led to a diagnosis of osteoporosis at 43. My doctor says that it is a result of malabsorption for the first 40 years. While you may only have experienced symptoms for 6 years, the damage may have been happening your entire life. It might be worth looking into as there are ways to reduce and possibly (fingers crossed) reverse the bone loss. Also, my Dr. insists I take calcium, vitamin D and a multi vitamin to make up for it, even on a gluten-free diet.