ouchystomach

Getting Tested - Negative, But Suffering!

Rate this topic

Everytime I eat wheat, I end up with lower stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea or crazy stools, in addition to increased anxiety and a depressed mood. I also end up "foggy" and I find it hard to think/make decisions/complete tasks. Inevitably my lower stomach ends up with a burning feeling and when I start eating again it especially burns when food touches my stomach (not heartburn).

So far my results are negative for celiac. I have not eaten much wheat (maybe a beer once a week, a tortilla or pie crust once every two weeks) for a very long time since college when I ate bread every day. I hear that can affect the tests but I'm not willing to eat more wheat for the sake of testing.

I have had a few tests so far:

IGA 158

ENDOMYSIAL AB NEGATIVE

FECAL FAT NORMAL

TISSUE TRANSGLUT. AB 0.3

Reference range: <4.0 Unit: U/mL

TISSUE TRANSGLUT. AB IGG 0.3

Reference range: <6.0 Unit: U/mL

I don't know if I should keep pressing for more tests, or if it's enough to know that when I eat wheat, I get sick? Many others in my family avoid wheat and other grains, also, although none of them have been diagnosed.

Thoughts?

Everytime I eat wheat, I end up with lower stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea or crazy stools, in addition to increased anxiety and a depressed mood. I also end up "foggy" and I find it hard to think/make decisions/complete tasks. Inevitably my lower stomach ends up with a burning feeling and when I start eating again it especially burns when food touches my stomach (not heartburn).

So far my results are negative for celiac. I have not eaten much wheat (maybe a beer once a week, a tortilla or pie crust once every two weeks) for a very long time since college when I ate bread every day. I hear that can affect the tests but I'm not willing to eat more wheat for the sake of testing.

I have had a few tests so far:

IGA 158

ENDOMYSIAL AB NEGATIVE

FECAL FAT NORMAL

TISSUE TRANSGLUT. AB 0.3

Reference range: <4.0 Unit: U/mL

TISSUE TRANSGLUT. AB IGG 0.3

Reference range: <6.0 Unit: U/mL

I don't know if I should keep pressing for more tests, or if it's enough to know that when I eat wheat, I get sick? Many others in my family avoid wheat and other grains, also, although none of them have been diagnosed.

Thoughts?

From what I've learned, you absolutely MUST eat gluten for at least six weeks to get a proper diagnosis.

I totally understand how you feel about not wanting to eat gluten. I've had to do it for the last six weeks so I can test, and it's not easy . . . but it is what it is. No fun, but necessary.