irish daveyboy

Looking For Anecdotes/funnies Re:celiac Disease

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I'm writing an article on the funny side of celiac disease and looking for all your

ideas.

Anything you, a neighbor, a friend or the medical profession have said, that made you chuckle!

He're an example of the sort of thing I'm after.

I was in College a while back, and was standing in line at the dreaded food deli,

Waiting to hear that inevitable question that all Celiacs must endure

"What would you like?"

Ahead of me was a fellow student, and he turned to question me,

"So, what are you in the mood for today?

I replied

"I'm not sure"

not wanting to blab out right away that I had unusual eating patterns!

He persisted though.

"The pasta looks good!"

At this stage, I just thought I'd get it over with and said with as much gusto as I could muster

"I'm a Celiac".

He hesitated for a moment and replied

"Really, I'm a Sagittarian myself

All I can offer is what so many of us have been told at one time or another after saying that we can't eat anything made from wheat:

"Oh, that's all right--all our breads are made from WHITE flour, not wheat! You can have them, no problem!"

At one of these episodes, I lost my patience, and said, "Okay, so you know that wheat flour comes from the wheat plant. Exactly which plant did you think white flour comes from?--the white plant????"

We had a potluck at work, where everyone knows my ... unusual eating patterns ( :P good phrase) and most bring appropriate things. One guy came in and said "I brought something with no gluten" and dropped a bag of pita chips on the table. And he was a doc......from Ireland...

O.K. here's my favorite so far........Twice people have responded to my "I can't have dairy" with "Oh, then you can't have eggs!" The first time I was shocked but the second time I was ready with "What kind of cow do you get your eggs from?"

So I am on a plane to Hawaii and I am having an attack. The plane has been delayed and we are sitting on the runway (bad timing for the attack but what can you do really?) I make multiple trips to the bathroom and at one point it looks like we are going to take off for real and the stewardess comes and pounds on the door, yelling "you have to return to your seat immediately."

"I am in here getting violently ill!" I counter, between retches. "I have celiac disease," I offer, by way of explanation.

"You have to come out of there!" I do, but in good time. Something cannot be rushed.

As soon as I am back in my seat, she brings me a huge stack of air-sick bags and says, "While the plane is taking off, we want you to use these when you get sick instead of using the bathroom."

Thanks All,

Keep them coming!

Love the Jokes!

Best Regards,

David

Oh wow, laughing my butt off at the Lisa's experience. Most people are totally clueless! I know I have a few but ill have to think about this one :)