wchamp

Symptom Question - 3 Yr Old

Rate this topic

My son (3 1/2) has been experiencing bouts of diahrrea followed by constipation or normal stools every 4 weeks or so - plus tummy aches. It's a pretty regular cycle and his doctor thinks it's IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). My aunt and mom both have celiac (my mom refused testing but found relief with gluten free diet) and diagnosed as adults. I'm wondering if I should invest in testing or not??? He's been growing fine, but he gets pretty irritable. We can't link any of it to diet - we eat pretty similar throughout, but he does get picky during the diarrhea and doesn't eat much at all, then it gets better and we start the whole process again. What do you experienced moms think?? This is so frustrating!!

My son (3 1/2) has been experiencing bouts of diahrrea followed by constipation or normal stools every 4 weeks or so - plus tummy aches. It's a pretty regular cycle and his doctor thinks it's IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). My aunt and mom both have celiac (my mom refused testing but found relief with gluten free diet) and diagnosed as adults. I'm wondering if I should invest in testing or not??? He's been growing fine, but he gets pretty irritable. We can't link any of it to diet - we eat pretty similar throughout, but he does get picky during the diarrhea and doesn't eat much at all, then it gets better and we start the whole process again. What do you experienced moms think?? This is so frustrating!!

With those symptoms and a family history, either get him tested now with a full celiac panel, make sure you specify what you want; OR just try the gluten-free diet for a good few weeks to a month to see if it helps. The only problem is that is you do the gluten-free diet and it does help, then you later want a "real" diagnosis, he'll have to go back to eating gluten and his symptoms could be even worse. I bet he has at least some gluten sensitivity, if not celiac. Irritability is the number one sign in children.

OH, the run of the mill "IBS" diagnosis. I think it is SO horrible when doctors brush that off on people, esp. little ones!! My daughters (twins who are 9) were told that for years and guess what, I find out they are at least gluten intolerance, but did have positive stool antibodies for gluten and also have one of the gluten genes. Their grandma has Celiac also. But, because they had been gluten free for 10 weeks the bloodwork said no. I guess my point is if you think your child may have a problem with gluten your mother's instinct is probably correct.

And, my daughters have always been very tall for their age, they are now five feet, so growth in not always a predictor of a gluten problem or Celiac.

I'm no doctor, but noone should have to suffer along with a vague IBS diagnosis. In my opinion it's not a diagnosis at all. I hope you can find out what your little one can't eat and they will be all better.....we did and our girls are doing great!

ABSOLUTELY get him tested! If it is in your family, it is a red flag, plus his symptoms are pretty common for celiacs. There are so many signs on celiac, that not growing isn't the only sign to look for. Some people show no signs at all, but it is a heriditary disease and so many people are misdiagnosed. If he doesn't get diagnosed and eats gluen, it will only do him harm. Please get him tested!