Trymester

Tested Positive But Have 0 Symptoms

Rate this topic

People who test positive for Celiac's Disease are advised to not eat Gluten. I tested negative for Celiac's. I tested positive for colitis antibodies. A colonoscopy and small bowel series were used to rule out Crohn's. I have neither constipation or diahrea. As I did test positve for Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies is there any specific foods I should be avoiding? Thanks.

P.S.- Is it possible it could've been a false positve? Do these things happen with Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibody tests?

P.P.S.- I know this is not Celiac's but on another board I was told to follow the same diet as Celiac's.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't answer most of your questions (sorry!) but your post left me wondering... if you were asymptomatic, then what prompted you to get tested? There was likely something that brought you to the DR and led your DR to order the tests you mentioned. celiac disease isn't just about GI problems, it also includes vitamin deficiencies among a very large number of other symptoms.

I would focus on the ailments that brought you to the DR in the first place. Give the gluten-free diet a try and see if those specific problems begin to get better after a few months.

Hopefully someone else here knows more about Saccharomyces cerevisiae and can speak to those questions specifically. When I googled it I found this: http://www.celiac.com/articles/1163/1/Anti...ease/Page1.html

Good luck!

Jillian

People who test positive for Celiac's Disease are advised to not eat Gluten. I tested negative for Celiac's. I tested positive for colitis antibodies. A colonoscopy and small bowel series were used to rule out Crohn's. I have neither constipation or diahrea. As I did test positve for Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies is there any specific foods I should be avoiding? Thanks.

P.S.- Is it possible it could've been a false positve? Do these things happen with Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibody tests?

P.P.S.- I know this is not Celiac's but on another board I was told to follow the same diet as Celiac's.

Thank you for your reply Jillian. I went to the GI because of Acid Reflux symptoms. He decided to run a bunch of blood tests. Among these were checking for the colitis antibodies, Hepatitis, Celiac's disease, etc.

Thank you for your reply Jillian. I went to the GI because of Acid Reflux symptoms. He decided to run a bunch of blood tests. Among these were checking for the colitis antibodies, Hepatitis, Celiac's disease, etc.

If you are having acid reflux symptoms you are not symptom free. Chances are you are also having other impacts that you may not realize are celiac related. Be thankful this was found in the earlier stages and you have found a good place to learn about all the ins and outs of the diet.

If you are having acid reflux symptoms you are not symptom free. Chances are you are also having other impacts that you may not realize are celiac related. Be thankful this was found in the earlier stages and you have found a good place to learn about all the ins and outs of the diet.

Would you say that the Enterolab stool tests are more reliable than blood tests? I mean, my blood test said I have no Celiac's disease.

I had been problem free for 24 years and eating EVERYTHING. Ice Cream, curry, I'm Hispanic so I've always eaten alot of oil and spicy food. I think that maybe when I Went to Japan and ate less "bad" food, my digestive system must've gone haywire. In October, I had a muscle injury plus stress, and that may have brought about the GERD. The discovery of colitis antibodies was so "random". I'm still not sure if I have this. But I will do my best to try to try a Gluten-free diet if it does turn out that I am gluten intolerant. (soory for the rambling).

The discovery of colitis antibodies was so "random".

As far as the colitis antibodies go did you have a colonoscopy? I have lymphocytic colitis, a type of microscopic colitis, after research probably the best to have. It was only found after the biopsy from my colonoscopy. It won't be found by the colonoscopy itself they have to do the biopsy to find it.

I am going for my endoscopy in the morning. My blood test came back positive. My dr hasn't suggested enterolab testing.

here's some random info on my symptoms and history.

Although having terrible symptoms for the past 21 months. It started after the birth of my second child when I was eating boxes of graham crackers with peanut butter for dinner every night. It's all I wanted, everything else made me sick.

I have thyroid disease so I spent 15 months blaming it and getting my tsh and t4 levels tested every 6 weeks.

But really most of my life everything was manageable, just thought i had IBS and thyroid disease, and my mom and grandma were like, "I was like that at your age too." My mom's doing a gluten challenge right now. She had cut out most breads because they always make her feel bloated. She gets her blood test in a week, I'm betting on celiac.

I'm 27 and if I hadn't gone through the horrible pain of the last year or so I don't know if I ever would have been able to give up gluten. It's hard enough right now before I know for sure. I keep thinking well I don't know for sure it's poison yet and after I find out I know I won't be able to let myself eat it. It's the only thing that explains a lot of random things in my medical history too. Like missing enamel on permanent teeth.

Good luck and hopefully the diet will help you. Acid reflux can be horrible and severely damaging to your esophagus and the rest of your digestive system.

Meagan

still seeking DX

positve blood test 8/09

Would you say that the Enterolab stool tests are more reliable than blood tests? I mean, my blood test said I have no Celiac's disease.

I had been problem free for 24 years and eating EVERYTHING. Ice Cream, curry, I'm Hispanic so I've always eaten alot of oil and spicy food. I think that maybe when I Went to Japan and ate less "bad" food, my digestive system must've gone haywire. In October, I had a muscle injury plus stress, and that may have brought about the GERD. The discovery of colitis antibodies was so "random". I'm still not sure if I have this. But I will do my best to try to try a Gluten-free diet if it does turn out that I am gluten intolerant. (soory for the rambling).

In my opinion yes. Enterolab cannot diagnose you with celiac officially but they can tell you if you are making antibodies. If you are making antibodies to something your body doesn't want it.

Celiac generally has a 'trigger', it usually appears after an emotional or physical stress. In women a lot of times pregnacy and delivery will trigger it but a severe injury will also. I am not aware of that happening with GERD, not saying it can't I just haven't heard of it.

Oh, I forgot to mention, even though my name is "Trymester" I am a male.

I need to wait until November-ish to get to Japan to have the Enterolab tests done. They don't work within New York, where I am now.

Oh, I forgot to mention, even though my name is "Trymester" I am a male.

I need to wait until November-ish to get to Japan to have the Enterolab tests done. They don't work within New York, where I am now.

Just wondering why you have to wait until you are out of NY, I live in NY and had no problem with getting the tests done. I simply contacted Enterolab and they sent me the kit, I sent it in and got my results within a couple of weeks. It wasn't covered by insurance but it was still possible to test.

Just wondering why you have to wait until you are out of NY, I live in NY and had no problem with getting the tests done. I simply contacted Enterolab and they sent me the kit, I sent it in and got my results within a couple of weeks. It wasn't covered by insurance but it was still possible to test.

When did you get the Enterolab tests done. I ordered them 2 weeks ago, and even used MasterCard to put the order in online. The day after I received a call telling me that they don't have a license to practice in the state of New York. I was ready, willing, and able to do it.

I then saw that they also do tests in Asia, and Japan is the next place I'm going after NY, so I have to wait until that time to get it done unfortunately.

When did you get the Enterolab tests done. I ordered them 2 weeks ago, and even used MasterCard to put the order in online. The day after I received a call telling me that they don't have a license to practice in the state of New York. I was ready, willing, and able to do it.

I then saw that they also do tests in Asia, and Japan is the next place I'm going after NY, so I have to wait until that time to get it done unfortunately.

I had mine done in 2002. Things must have changed since then. I think it ridiculous that folks can no longer get testing form them here.