lizard00

Food To Freeze

Rate this topic

I love to cook, but most of what I make is a one shot deal. Meaning that I rarely make enough for leftovers, or if I do, it's just enough for lunch the next day.

Anyway, we're expecting our 2nd baby in about 7 weeks (probably sooner), and I'm starting to think about foods that I can make ahead and freeze for the hospital stay and for the first week or so after we get home. I can get about as far as a lasagne, but I draw a blank after that. :lol:

Thanks for your suggestions!

Soups, stews,

burritos

stuffed peppers

cooked meats in small packets to add to any meal

spiced fish,chicken, whatever in foil to throw on the grill or in the oven to cook

*cooked meatloaves-can be made into smaller ones or individual sizes, put in whatever pan they fit in or free-form in a large baking dish with space between and baked off at the same time

*cooked meatballs

*layer tortillas, refried beans, black beans, mexican rice, corn or other veg, cheese, salsa, enchilada sauce-whatever combo of these and in an order that makes sense-I freeze in round casseroles that are the same size as the corn tortillas, using 3 tortillas(for individual ones), freeze unbaked and then go straight from freezer to oven until heated through(cover with foil and take off toward the end)

*pancakes

*bread

*muffins

Chicken breast - just throw it into the slow cooker, bag and freeze. We reheat it in olive oil and spices and dump it on a salad, use it in omlettes, throw on some Baby Ray's or salsa. It's pretty versatile and easy for people who don't like to cook to use without making a bunch of dishes.

Great ideas already. Also, Spanish Rice freezes really well and it's easy to make a big batch to divide and freeze.

Another thing I did before I went into the hospital was cut boneless/skinless chicken breasts into chunks, saute them in olive oil with a big chopped onion and some garlic. When brown, add a cup of rice and a carton of chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes. This also freezes well.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Feel free to keep them coming :)

I like to use my crockpot a lot. So whenever I make soups, stews, chile I make enough to freeze several containers for quick meals. We also like bean soup or pea soup...same deal. You could make ahead and freeze pizza dough (roll flat and layer with wax paper). I'm sure I'll remember more later. :)

chili, spaghetti sauce, taco sauce, vegetable soup, stuffed shells,mac& cheese, sloppy joe mix, stuffed cabbage.

Congrats on new baby

Yes, pizza! I have these individual/or pie for 2, pie plates that I came into(about the size of camping plates I think). One recipe of pizza dough for a small pie, is just enough dough to fit into 2 of those plates so I make, bake and freeze, then just pop it in the microwave to warm up. Works great!

taco meat

keema curry flavored ground beef http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe002.html

Yes, Best wishes to you!

I have a really fantastic biscuit recipe, but I've never frozen them. Anyone tried to freeze biscuits???

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!!! I can't believe I didn't think about pizza... LOL :lol:

Since breads & baked goods seem to freeze well, generally speaking, I'd bet freezing biscuits would be a great idea! I think I'm going to try that. There's a decent & very easy recipe for drop biscuits on gluten free cooking school.com (if memory serves) - I need to do that ASAP. I like to keep grab & go goods for myself in the freezer.