Eric_C

Gluten Free Sage?

Rate this topic

We are very strict on our gluten-free diet but over the winter I kept having a slight problem I never nailed down.

We had a cool weather wise weekend so decided to make stuffed chicken. Woke up last night with stomach pains and cramping.

Had lunch just a while ago and D followed not so long after.

The only thing it can be is the sage. We make our dressing with Energy bread, salt, pepper, celery, onions, and sage. We stuff a fryer chicken with it and cook it in the oven.

We make gravy but we use Argo's Corn starch which we've used plenty of times before. Mashed potatoes which again we have all the time.

The only thing that stands out is the sage. We had dinner at my sisters a few weeks ago and had turkey, we all make the dressing the same way and I did not get sick but different brand of sage which she threw out when the bottle was empty.

So either there is gluten in the chicken or its the Sage. Everything else in this house is 100 percent gluten-free and I never feel one bit off eating at home.

Anyone found one they know to be gluten-free?

I use Morton and Basset but sage should be gluten-free unless it's in a spice mix. Could you have food poisoning? Sorry you're not feeling well :(

I know this is unbelievable but I am highly sensitive to gluten and discovered last spring I was getting gluten from McCormick's ground sage which I had just started putting in chicken. I KNOW my gluten symptoms- took it out and all was well. I now buy all my spices fresh, dry them myself and have not had any trouble with them. It doesn't

take too long and they are oh so fresh!

It could, of course, be something else for you but I've learned "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses"

good luck!

lisa

I know this is unbelievable but I am highly sensitive to gluten and discovered last spring I was getting gluten from McCormick's ground sage which I had just started putting in chicken. I KNOW my gluten symptoms- took it out and all was well. I now buy all my spices fresh, dry them myself and have not had any trouble with them. It doesn't

take too long and they are oh so fresh!

It could, of course, be something else for you but I've learned "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses"

good luck!

lisa

That's so stinky!! I'm really sensitive too so this is good to know- they make a lot of blends (and gravy mixes, right?) so it must be CC.

I've never had a problem with Morton and Basset but I agree, when you can do your own, it's for the best.

That's so stinky!! I'm really sensitive too so this is good to know- they make a lot of blends (and gravy mixes, right?) so it must be CC.

I've never had a problem with Morton and Basset but I agree, when you can do your own, it's for the best.

I'll try Morton's or Bassets. Its not food poisoning, I know my symptoms.

The brand she had bought had no label, might even have bought it up in Canada since it was partly in French.

Thanks for the info, its one of our favorite dishes because its great for left overs for a few days.