mhope

Increased Sensitivity To Gluten After gluten-free?

Rate this topic

Hi!

I just joined this forum and I am so glad I did, I have already had very helpful responses to some questions! And I have another!

So I have read that after removing gluten from ones diet, you lose any tolerance that you had for it and will therefore be more sensitive to it thereafter. I only eliminated (as far as I know!) gluten from my diet 5 days ago. For about the last four, I have had a great reduction in my immediate stomach symptoms. I keep telling myself it is just a coincidence, but after feeling so sick for so long with consistence and then having 4 days go well (with at least those symptoms) I am starting to think it isnt a coincidence! Anyhow, my friend very kindly decided to make me gluten free cookies (a packaged mix) yesterday and brought them to work today. I am aware that contamination is a big issue, but (stupidly) I figured, she said she was really careful, and (stupidly) I thought, I only gave up gluten last week, since I'm still very much recovering, and contamination probably wont be too bad I ate some! For the rest of the day, my stomach didn't feel right. It wasnt as severe as it used to be all the time, but I was uncomfortable enough to notice.

I didn't expect to feel better so quickly with removing gluten, and I know that there are ups and downs in the recovery process.... but I am just wondering if this discomfort may be due to contamination? Could I really be that sensitive so soon after eliminating gluten? I am definitely trying to be as careful as I can, but I think it is safe to assume my kitchen probably has remnants of gluten in some form.... and I havent been sick with the food that I have made...?

Any insight would be welcomed! :)

Thanks!

Maybe the sugar in the cookies were too much. Once you start eating healthier your body will reject all sorts of things.

There are a couple of things it could be. It sure could be CC from your friend's kitchen. It could also be the small amount of gluten that is often in mixes of that type. Even if it's labelled gluten-free, it can still have small amounts in it and a sensitive person can react to it.

It also could be that one of the ingredients is something you do not tolerate well. It would be good to note the ingredients in your food journal along with your reaction. If you have that reaction again, you can compare food ingredients.

Many with celiac disease do have other sensitivities show up after they give up gluten. The food journal is a big help to narrow those down and help you find your own safe diet.

I felt so much better initially after only giving up bread and cereal. I did seem to get more sensitive over time and eliminated more and more things. At this point I don't eat very many processed foods anymore, but I am healthy and productive. I don't seem to have any other food sensitivities, except for oats. I just have to be very careful about every possible cross contamination source. I wash everything.