Chezza

Are There Proven Medical Connections?

Rate this topic

:) Hi i was diagnosed as celiac in June this year. I have a couple of questions that i would like to ask. Is there any medically proven connection between polycystic ovarian disease and celiac disease? Secondly i was told that people that had scarlet fever are more incline to get celiac disease is this true. Ps i miss pizza! :(

Never heard of these connections, and proven connections are even harder to find. Celiac and related diseases have only been able to identify in our lifetime. I think I have Milk Soy Protein Intolerance, no test for that yet, so the doc will have to take my word.

Trust your instinct, nothing is too weird to mention, ask questions!

Welcome to the gluten free world ! It is just fine. My mom is a celiac, when I was diagnosed she'd never had pizza, but knew I felt like you.

Betty Hagaman's cookbook has a great pizza dough. It is nothing like the dough you have known, more like paste, but all the gluten eaters in my extended family prefer it. Mom makes a bunch, par bakes it and you have a crust better than you'll ever find retail, on demand in the freezer.

Betty Hagaman's cookbook has a great pizza dough. It is nothing like the dough you have known, more like paste, but all the gluten eaters in my extended family prefer it. Mom makes a bunch, par bakes it and you have a crust better than you'll ever find retail, on demand in the freezer.

Thanks for that momxyz i will see if i can find her book here in Australia:)

Namaste brand makes a very delicious pizza crust mix which is very quick and easy to prepare. Plus, if you go to their website you can find recipes to use the same mix to make things like bread sticks.

There have been some other discussions on here about the relationship between PCOS and celiac. If you google I am sure they will come up. I have no idea about scarlet fever; one sister and I have both had it and we are both the gluten intolerants in our family, although another sister may well be but ignores it.

I find your question interesting. I don't have polycystic ovarian disease but I did have scarlatina aka scarlet fever twice when I was a young child. Never heard of any connection, but weird. :P

I have never seen proof either. I read last week, that 1 in 20 type 1 diabetics are celiac, it has something to do with the same gene types.

What happens is gluten intolerance causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which then open the door to other auto-immune diseases, and other issues. My neurologist believes my neuropathy is a direct result of my B12 deficiency caused by gluten intolerance. It's like 1+1= 2.

If most of us had known about gluten, and it's dangers, we may not have developed other issues. Nothing is for sure though...not enough is known about gluten intolerance and all it encompasses.

There does seem to be a connection with gluten and autism, ADHD, crohns disease, neuropathy, thyroid problems, sleep issues, etc.

I have never seen proof either. I read last week, that 1 in 20 type 1 diabetics are celiac, it has something to do with the same gene types.

What happens is gluten intolerance causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which then open the door to other auto-immune diseases, and other issues. My neurologist believes my neuropathy is a direct result of my B12 deficiency caused by gluten intolerance. It's like 1+1= 2.

If most of us had known about gluten, and it's dangers, we may not have developed other issues. Nothing is for sure though...not enough is known about gluten intolerance and all it encompasses.

There does seem to be a connection with gluten and autism, ADHD, crohns disease, neuropathy, thyroid problems, sleep issues, etc.

Hi Chezza,

There's a few recent discussions on here about PCOS+celiac ... but let me add my current personal experience to the list.

A ways back the docs suspected PCOS and so sent me to a gynecologist who confirmed the dx. My primary symptom labs-wise is outrageously elevated testosterone. Despite an assortment of meds, it just kept climbing higher and higher.

In addition to this, my thyroid levels kept getting more and more hypo- my last TSH was 91.

Fast forward. My research never found anything conclusive but I kept seeing links, nuances, hints, that both thyroid and PCOS have a gluten intolerance link. I'd been gluten-free years before, but after a doc told me I was not celiac, I resumed eating gluten. Most of my current health probs showed up in the 2.5 years or so I've been back on gluten.

August 1, I decided, "Hey - if I'm suspecting a link, I should go gluten-free just for a couple weeks and see what it does to the labs."

I saw a new endocrinologist on 8/18.

My celiac bloodwork is negative (she's sending me for biopsy)... BUT...

- my testosterone level is now actually slightly low (and my cycle this last month was the most normal it's been in years).

- I'm losing weight rapidly (17lbs total so far) when I was unable to lose weight before no matter how much I dieted.

- My stomach issues are gone.

- I have boundless energy.

- She's going to re-check my thyroid in about 3 weeks to see if that # is normalizing now too... we suspect it might be!

So - based on this, she's put in my medical records that I have a severe allergy to gluten and under no circumstances should I ever eat it again - regardless of what the celiac tests show.

It'll be interesting to see what bloodwork turns up in a few weeks!