Ariauna

Chicken Ideas Please

Rate this topic

Okay so I've been gluten-free for about 5 months now and a lot of my digestive health issues have cleared up although I do still suffer from GERD and I believe I get stress related sour stomach. This leaves me still having to be careful with what I eat. My staples are gluten-free cereal for breakfast...I sure wish I could find some safe oats as I LOVE oatmeal or some gluten-free bagels that are egg free too! Anyway I can eat a small amount of spaghetti if I watch what sauce I use (if it's too acidic my GERD will flare or my stomach will sour and it will last about 10 hours after I eat it) I only eat this at lunch time because of the issues. I wish I could come up with a good white sauce for a change, again egg free limits me and I don't do well with garlic I believe that is related to my GERD. I can't do salsa at all even if it is gluten-free. Great Value lunch meat is good and I will have a few slices of cheese with it for a quick lunch. My next staple which I eat every night and do like but would love for some new recipe ideas is CHICKEN, I cook it with a tad of salt, and pam on a skillet or broil in the oven. I add sauteed mushrooms and eat it with rice. I'm getting very bored with the bland diet going on here. I picked up some lemons, lime, oranges, onions and chives in hopes to grate some flavoring into my dinner. Sometimes I add mandarin oranges on top of the rice and it makes it a nice change.

Any ideas? I am not into cooking all that much, I like to cook something up within 30 minutes. So any ideas that don't require me to be a top chef would be gratefully appreciated. I seem to get sick from pre-packaged spices and have had trouble finding ones that are labeled gluten-free so I will not use them so I am looking for fresh food ideas please.

Any gravy recipe would be appreciated too for my mashed potatos :)

There is a Lemon Butter Chicken recipe -- I think I found it on Allrecipes.com --- that is easy, quick, and makes a delicious sauce for over rice.....

You can do a recipe search on www.allrecipes.com and find the one I'm talking about - or search for ingredients you can have in recipes they have posted.

The recipe I'm thinking of uses:

Lemon Pepper (McCormick is gluten-free)

Butter

Italian Dressing (I use Kraft)

Lemon

Chicken

Worcestershire Sauce (Lea and Perrins is gluten-free)

There is also a good chicken salad recipe on their site that I enjoyed. It's "Holiday Chicken Salad"

Good luck!

here's an idea... embrace the slow cooker like i have done!

one of my favorites with tons of flavor is a very simple italian chicken stew, that i usually prep and serve with rice or some gluten free rolls. it's very easy:

take plain boneless chicken breasts and cut them into large chunks (probably 4 or 5 pieces per breast). throw the chunks into a plastic bag and add salt, pepper and any spices desired (i usually use lots of fresh chopped rosemary and thyme). squish and shake it around so all of the meat gets seasoned, then throw it in the fridge.

next for veggies... i usually use carrots, celery, peas, 1/2 onion, baby white potatoes and a can or two of diced tomatoes (which you can skip due to your GERD).... i'll add a can of drained and rinsed chick peas also. carrots, celery and potatoes i cut into large bite size pieces and the onion i'll try to dice small.

in the morning before work, i spray the slow cooker with PAM. then i grab the bag of chicken from the fridge and throw in a tablespoon or two of cornstarch and mix it around till the meat is coated. drop the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. then drop all of the veggies on top of the meat, and add one container of chicken broth (enough so that the top layer of veggies are just peeking through), then season with salt, pepper, spices (if desired), maybe add some fresh basil or whatever. flip it on and let it cook on low for most of the day. when i get home i mix cornstarch and water together and add it to the stew, stirring to get it all distributed. flip it on high for about 20 minutes to get it hot enough to start thickening up... then give it a healthy stir and serve it over rice, piping hot! if you make a large enough pot, you'll have leftovers for days!

super easy :) hope that helps

I have Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce (left over from my gluten-eating days) and the first ingredient is malt vinegar (from barley). I'm in Canada and I know the ingredients differ between Canada & the U.S., but make sure you read the ingredients before buying/using!

I like buying gluten-free broullion cubes of varying flavours and cooking my rice and meats in them. It's super easy and delicious. They're usually high in sodium though so look for a low-sodium one or use infrequently if you have to watch your salt intake.

Bon apetit :)

Jillian

There is a Lemon Butter Chicken recipe -- I think I found it on Allrecipes.com --- that is easy, quick, and makes a delicious sauce for over rice.....

You can do a recipe search on www.allrecipes.com and find the one I'm talking about - or search for ingredients you can have in recipes they have posted.

The recipe I'm thinking of uses:

Lemon Pepper (McCormick is gluten-free)

Butter

Italian Dressing (I use Kraft)

Lemon

Chicken

Worcestershire Sauce (Lea and Perrins is gluten-free)

There is also a good chicken salad recipe on their site that I enjoyed. It's "Holiday Chicken Salad"

Good luck!

For a quick dish, I take leftover or fresh rice, steamed chopped fresh broccoli, or frozen, sometimes frozen corn too, grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and diced leftover chicken or ham. Mix it all up and warm it up in the microwave if working with leftovers. If making fresh, I add the chopped broccoli to the rice as it is steaming and then when I take it off the heat I stir in the rest of the ingredients and sometimes let it sit with the lid on for a few minutes to melt the cheese. It's very flexible. You could add a bit of butter if you like.

Lately I've been having a salad with chicken for lunch-salad greens, leftover diced chicken, tomatoes, sometimes slivers of red onion, crispy bacon and a dressing made of mayo, olive oil to thin it, generous amount of fresh ground black pepper, a bit of brown mustard to flavor it and a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten it.

I like this recipe for chicken. http://www.befreeforme.com/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeID=128 I cut the honey down to 1/4(because I can't have the sugar) and it still is very good. You can omit the artichokes and skewers and just broil the cubes too.

I'm with you on "bland"

I eat a lot of chicken, but it does get boring... So today, I got some drumsticks and wrapped them in smokey bacon, then baked them over some roasting potatoes (I started these off first, as they take longer than the chicken to cook). They would work just as well cold to take to work, I'm sure.

You can make white sauce real easy - just heat up your milk and butter with a pinch of salt and beat in some rice flour when it's boiling. If you want to make it more like wheat-based white sauce add a very little bit of nutmeg (not too much). For cheese sauce, pull it off the heat and stir in grated cheese, or you can make a nice mushroom sauce by cooking the mushies in with the milk (it's gray, but it tastes great).

Hope this helps

Alfredo Sauce (sorry not calorie friendly but excellent)

16 oz sour cream

Juice of half a lemon

A super easy and really good chicken recipe someone gave me...

Olive oil

Balsamic vinegar

Rosemary

(Sorry I don't have measurements, I just eyeball it all)

Mix them in a shallow bowl, and then swirl the chicken breasts (or whatever chicken part you're using) in the mixtures. Sautee them and you're all set. Salt and pepper to taste.

I had forgotten about this recipe. I think I'm going to make this and then freeze it... then serve with some mashed potatoes... mmmmmmm

I eat a lot of chicken! DH gets sick of it sometimes. Oh, well.

Day one

1. Cut up twice as many ckn breasts as you would use for 1 meal into bite size pieces. Season and saute in OO till not quit done. Remove to platter.

2. Chop twice as many Green, red, and yellow peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Add chopped garlic and OO to same pan. Saute veges till tender crisp - seasoning again. Remove to platter.

3. To same pan, Add chicken stock, and some white wine. Check for seasoning ( whatever you want - rosemary, basil, ect). Make a slurry of cornstarch and water, add to the liquid, and slowly simmer till thick, stirring constantly. When thick, dump in ckn and veges (plus anything you want,ie steamed broccole, water chestnuts, ect) Serve 1/2 over gluten-free pasta.

Day 2

1. Heat up leftovers. If you want, add some bean sprouts. Add soy sauce. Serve over rice.

Or Lowfat Alfredo

1. Do steps 1 and 2, only saute enough for one meal.

2. Too same pan, add 2 cups milk. Slowly heat and add parmeson or romano cheese to taste. Using the same slurry, stir till thick, stirring consantly. Dump ckn and veges back in, serve over pasta with a chiffinade of fresh basil.

I cut a chicken breast in almost half (butterfly it), open it , put it into a large ziploc bag and pound it thin. Then I bread it and fry it in a little oil. Drain and serve with a little lemon juice.

You can bread it crushed potato chips, crackers, crushed cereal or parmasan cheese. Add spices as desired.

You can dip it in flour, then in beaten egg and last into your crumbs-of-choice. Makes it messier but a thicker crust.

I cut a chicken breast in almost half (butterfly it), open it , put it into a large ziploc bag and pound it thin. Then I bread it and fry it in a little oil. Drain and serve with a little lemon juice.

You can bread it crushed potato chips, crackers, crushed cereal or parmasan cheese. Add spices as desired.

You can dip it in flour, then in beaten egg and last into your crumbs-of-choice. Makes it messier but a thicker crust.

That's a good reminder! I used to do this too with the EnerG bread. Just barely undercook it and top with a piece of mozarella or provolone cheese, put some pasta sauce on the bottom of a baking dish or pie plate, put the chiken on and broil or bake 'till the sauce is warmed and cheese is melted. Or just served the chicken without the cheese and with a little pasta/pesto sauce on the side to dip it in. Also prep. the chicken and place it uncooked on a baking sheet and froze it, then transfer to storage bags or containers.

Alfredo Sauce (sorry not calorie friendly but excellent)

16 oz sour cream

Juice of half a lemon

Thank you all so much for the recipe and cooking ideas I am very excited to hit the store and try them out. I didn't know that McCormick Lemon Pepper is gluten-free my husband never goes without it so it's perfect as long as his gluten hands don't contaminate it lol I will have to get my own bottle most likely. I use half/half salt because of my Meniere's and I saw one recipe that calls for egg but I know I can use a replacer.

Keep them coming in if you have any more ideas.

Kraft salad dressings are safe - as long as there are no gluten ingredients in the ingredient list. BBQing chicken basted in any flavor you like is easy and really good ! We've been using the sun dried tomato one. You can also bake chicken pieces in a pan in them as well. Yum !

One of our favorite chicken recipes is honey mustard chicken- 1/2 honey 1/2 mustard, all over raw chicken breast, bake at 375. How much sauce depends on how much chicken. I sometimes put garlic powder on the chicken first, helps hold on the sauce.

Well, it's not a chicken recipe but I thought maybe you might like a new breakfast one. They're kind of modeled after IHOP's (now long gone from the menu) griddle cakes.

buckwheat pancakes

1/4 c + 1 tbsp buckwheat flour

1/4 c not quite level cream of rice cereal (dry)

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/8 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. milled flax seed

1/2 tbsp. oil

1/2 tbsp. scrambled egg (raw) or if you're not able to do eggs, use a little bit of gelatin or xanthan gum

1/2 c. milk

Combine dry ingredients, stir in wet. Mix well, add a bit of buckwheat flour if it's too wet.

Cook on a hot skillet as usual for pancakes. This makes 2 large or 3 4" pancakes (ie enough for 1 person.)

I did not know that Kraft dressings were safe, since only 4 months gluten-free Ive tried to only use things labeled gluten-free so I have no questions. I do come here and trust what I read here as long as the labels match the advice. This gives me lots of new ideas :) also thanks for that honey mustard idea I love sauce like that I just have not had to do a lot of from scratch things. I'm finding it to be a lot cheaper though!!

Well, it's not a chicken recipe but I thought maybe you might like a new breakfast one. They're kind of modeled after IHOP's (now long gone from the menu) griddle cakes.

buckwheat pancakes

1/4 c + 1 tbsp buckwheat flour

1/4 c not quite level cream of rice cereal (dry)

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/8 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. milled flax seed

1/2 tbsp. oil

1/2 tbsp. scrambled egg (raw) or if you're not able to do eggs, use a little bit of gelatin or xanthan gum

1/2 c. milk

Combine dry ingredients, stir in wet. Mix well, add a bit of buckwheat flour if it's too wet.

Cook on a hot skillet as usual for pancakes. This makes 2 large or 3 4" pancakes (ie enough for 1 person.)

Oh this does sound yummy too and I am always looking for any new recipes that are GERD friendly. Don't suppose any of you know where I can get a hold of some safe oatmeal? I sure miss eating those steaming bowls of oats with fresh fruit mixed in!

There are several brands out there and they can be purchased online from shopping sites or the companies themselves. Prices vary and there are a couple of cuts-rolled, steel cut etc.. I personally love the Gifts of Nature. The Bob's Red Mill are more like the Quaker Rolled Oats. Cream Hill Estates is another one.

P.S. Make sure the Bob's are the gluten-free ones. I think they process non-gluten-free ones as well.

There are several brands out there and they can be purchased online from shopping sites or the companies themselves. Prices vary and there are a couple of cuts-rolled, steel cut etc.. I personally love the Gifts of Nature. The Bob's Red Mill are more like the Quaker Rolled Oats. Cream Hill Estates is another one.

P.S. Make sure the Bob's are the gluten-free ones. I think they process non-gluten-free ones as well.

Also, be aware that a certain percentage of Celiacs react to even gluten-free oats the same way as gluten, so be very careful when proceeding with them. You may want to wait til you've healed for a while and them try them on a day when you'll be home, if you're one of those gastrointestinal sufferers like me! :)

I'll share 2 chicken recipes with you, an old favorite and a new favorite.

Old Favorite - Green Chili Enchiladas

Fry or bake chicken breasts cut into chunks in 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 butter. Add Lowry's Seasoned Salt to taste. When done, lower the heat in your skillet and add a large bar of cream cheese and a can of chopped green chilis. (Can be mild or hot, your choice) When the cheese melts, stir this well and remove from heat. Put a large spoonful of mixture across a corn tortilla, roll and place in a greased baking dish. The tortillas tend to split but I just ignore this. Keep filling tortillas until all your mixture is used. Pour Green Chili Enchilada sauce over the tortillas in the dish. The tortillas tend to absorb this well so I use 2-3 cans of the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees covered until bubbly about 20 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle your favorite cheese on top. Return to oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted.

New Favorite - Saltimbocco with Sauce

Take defrosted boneless chicken breasts and carefully slice almost all the way through, so that they open up like a butterfly. Place between waxed paper and pound until thin. Brush with lemon juice and then sprinkle with salt and pepper and sage. Now add a slice of Hormel Natural ham and a slice of cheese, I like provolone. Roll the chicken the longways very tightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and twirl the ends tightly. Freeze for at least two hours. I prepare these for the freezer and leave the cooking for another day. That makes both days short prep times.

Remove the chicken rolls from the freezer and roll lightly in your favorite flour. Lightly brown in butter and olive oil then set aside. At this point you can skewer the rolls with bamboo sticks all along the length, if you want to serve these as appetizers. If it is an entree, skip this part. Place chicken rolls on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 10 - 20 minutes until done. Serve with sauce or without.

Sauce - 3 tablespoons pesto mixed with one cup sour cream or mayonaisse.

I'm currently on a kick making chicken piccata. It's super flavorful and seems to go well with summer menus. You can get a pretty great gluten free recipe from elanaspantry.com with full instructions. Or just sub in your favorite picatta recipe any starchy flour (rice flour works). I don't eat dairy so I mix olive oil and coconut oil for my fat instead of butter in classic french recipes.

Basic instructions that I follow: Pound boneless chicken piece (thigh or breast works great but breast turns out prettier) to ~1/4 inch thick between plastic wrap. Lightly dredge in starchy flour of choice with salt and pepper to taste. Have 1/4 inch of oil/fat (like I said I like half-half olive oil and coconut oil but grapeseed oil or other oils/fats can work too) heated in skillet so that when the chicken goes in it sizzles and cooks quickly. Cook chicken quickly on both sides and place on napkin to drain. For 4 breasts add in this order another 1/4 cup or so of your oil, 1 cup white wine or chicken stock (or in a pinch water) 1 large lemon's worth of juice, and maybe half a handful of capers. Whisk around and get the flour chunks left in the pan from the chicken well mixed. Heat to simmer and it should thicken. If it doesn't make you thicken enough to make you happy add a sprinkle of your flour that you dredge the chicken in to begin with. Take off burner and add the chicken pieces back to the pan to post-marinate a couple of minutes before serving.

Here's a standby from my kitchen, I think I make it several times a month. It takes 5 minutes to throw together and is really hearty. Plus, it freezes great! Serve it with your favorite green veggie or salad.

Laura

Salsa chicken & rice

2 c. brown rice

4 c. chicken broth

1 jar salsa

1 package chicken thighs (skinless definitely, boneless is optional)

cilantro to taste

minced garlic to taste

Throw everything into a rice cooker, and cook 45-55 minutes, until rice is done to your preference. Stir occasionally, and you may need to add some extra liquid.

**Alternate directions**

On the stove, you would have similar directions, but watch it more carefully. I never cook rice on the stove, so you'll have to play with the temperature of the burner and time.

This sounds like an insane amount of garlic, but it is SOOOOOOO good and incredibly easy too! The garlic mellows and becomes almost sweet in the Crockpot. Originally found it on the Crockpot Lady's site, http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/04/cr...c-chicken.html:

Crockpot Garlic Chicken

Ingredients:

3-4 pounds chicken pieces

1 large onion, sliced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon pepper

20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

Directions:

Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert of your Crockpot. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Pour into chicken mixture into Crockpot, on top of the onion.

NOTE: if you use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of bone-in chicken, add 1 cup of white wine or apple juice.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.

P.S. I made this recently and started it around 6am; I fully intended to shut it off after 8 hours or so but was unable to. It ended up cooking on Low for more than 12 hours! And it was WONDERFUL! The liquid and the onions and garlic cloves turned a deep golden brown (caramelized) color...the veggies were so soft they basically disintegrated into the liquid. The chicken was incredibly tender, as usual. I thickened the liquid with cornstarch to make a sauce and served the chicken in the sauce over mashed potatoes.....YUM!