This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Enamel Defects

GravStars

GravStars Contributor

What exactly are the kinds of "dental enamel defects" that occur in some people with celiac disease? Is erosion of the enamel, causing the teeth to become thinner and more transparent, one of those defects?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes. In addition some of us will have gum inflammation and the weakened enamel leads to more cavities which can cause some of us to have more fillings than teeth by the time we are into adulthood. One caution though, be careful about using toothpastes for 'sensitive' teeth or ones that build enamel. Do check and make absolutely certain that the one you use is gluten free. Last time I checked Sensodyne was not safe for us, that may have changed.

GravStars Contributor
Yes. In addition some of us will have gum inflammation and the weakened enamel leads to more cavities which can cause some of us to have more fillings than teeth by the time we are into adulthood. One caution though, be careful about using toothpastes for 'sensitive' teeth or ones that build enamel. Do check and make absolutely certain that the one you use is gluten free. Last time I checked Sensodyne was not safe for us, that may have changed.

Do you know what exactly is it about celiac disease that causes the enamel to erode? Nutritional deficiency? As far as I know, the usual cause of enamel erosion is stomach acid, as from chronic reflux or vomiting.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Do you know what exactly is it about celiac disease that causes the enamel to erode? Nutritional deficiency? As far as I know, the usual cause of enamel erosion is stomach acid, as from chronic reflux or vomiting.

This can perhaps explain better than I. If you google enamel defects and celiac lots will come up.

Open Original Shared Link

GravStars Contributor
This can perhaps explain better than I. If you google enamel defects and celiac lots will come up.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks!

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I had 4 six year old molars come in with the enamel deformed and missing on all 4 teeth.. I've informed all Dentists about the enamel problems and none of them had a clue. I even fished back in the 90's with a retired Dental School Instructor (University of Maryland) and he didn't associate it with CELIAC . His best guess was possibility a vitamin deficiency.

I can say that my Dentist has learned a lot about celiac disease since I was diagnosed.

Archived