GravStars

Dental Enamel Defects

Rate this topic

What exactly are the kinds of "dental enamel defects" that occur in some people with celiac disease? Is erosion of the enamel, causing the teeth to become thinner and more transparent, one of those defects?

Yes. In addition some of us will have gum inflammation and the weakened enamel leads to more cavities which can cause some of us to have more fillings than teeth by the time we are into adulthood. One caution though, be careful about using toothpastes for 'sensitive' teeth or ones that build enamel. Do check and make absolutely certain that the one you use is gluten free. Last time I checked Sensodyne was not safe for us, that may have changed.

Yes. In addition some of us will have gum inflammation and the weakened enamel leads to more cavities which can cause some of us to have more fillings than teeth by the time we are into adulthood. One caution though, be careful about using toothpastes for 'sensitive' teeth or ones that build enamel. Do check and make absolutely certain that the one you use is gluten free. Last time I checked Sensodyne was not safe for us, that may have changed.

Do you know what exactly is it about celiac disease that causes the enamel to erode? Nutritional deficiency? As far as I know, the usual cause of enamel erosion is stomach acid, as from chronic reflux or vomiting.

Do you know what exactly is it about celiac disease that causes the enamel to erode? Nutritional deficiency? As far as I know, the usual cause of enamel erosion is stomach acid, as from chronic reflux or vomiting.

This can perhaps explain better than I. If you google enamel defects and celiac lots will come up.

http://www.celiac.nih.gov/DentalEnamel.aspx

I had 4 six year old molars come in with the enamel deformed and missing on all 4 teeth.. I've informed all Dentists about the enamel problems and none of them had a clue. I even fished back in the 90's with a retired Dental School Instructor (University of Maryland) and he didn't associate it with CELIAC . His best guess was possibility a vitamin deficiency.

I can say that my Dentist has learned a lot about celiac disease since I was diagnosed.