Mama Ruthies

Child Glutened---what To Do To Get Gluten Out Of System Faster?

Rate this topic

Our 5 year old son reacts to gluten by first having BM issues, then a regression in speech (he already has speech delays), and the last time he got some gluten, he stopped feeding himself (fine motor). He did start feeding himself again after about a month. His speech is usually affected for two months which is very disheartening.

What do you do to help "clean" the gluten out of the system? We have tried to be so careful, but accidents have happened.

Thanks for any advice!!

If diarrhea is the problem-is in my house-I give immodium and impliment the BRAT (lots of bananas, rice, apples, gluten-free toast (waffles, pancakes etc)) diet to try to aleviate the acid poo's. I also have them drink as much water over the course of the next few days as possible to help flush it out. They eat very simply for the next week. Hope this helps!

My adult son swears by activated charcoal, for when he gets glutened. He says it really makes a huge difference while getting through it. Of course, make sure it's the gluten free charcoal capsules, you can get them at whole foods grocers or vitamin stores, etc. I wouldn't know what dose for a child - perhaps see what dose your Dr. might recommend if they were advising activated charcoal because of something else ingested (or what a poison control center might suggest)?