This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Recipes For Corn Dogs

SteubensMom

SteubensMom Newbie

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. Being a part of this forum seems to have really helped my dear friend, Jillian. I am hoping it helps me too! Not sure how to use the forum or even if I will end up posting this properly. I've been reading past posts for the past four hours and have been very encouraged by the community of gluten-free people.

My children are missing corn dogs if anyone has a good recipe!

I was diagnosed as celiac by my nutritionist after receiving my lab results by Kimball. She said that since I carry the celiac gene and was having celiac related symptoms I should consider myself a celiac. I am not sure but would love to know which strand of my DNA, alpha or beta, tested positive. I also do not understand what the difference is between DQ2 and DQ8. Here are my test results.

DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02 Positive

DQA1*0501 or *0505 Detected

DQB1*0201 or *0202 Detected

DQ8 (DQB1*0302): Negative

DQ1*0302 Not Detected

My daughters were put on a gluten-free diet in 9/05 due to celiac-like symptoms. I have been mostly gluten-free since then but earlier this year began struggling with fatigue and daily bowel issues. Finally scraped up enough to pay for the Kimball test in 07/09 for myself, out of pocket since Kaiser will only do a blood test, will test the children when finances allow.

I am in the learning curve and still stuck in a bit of denial right now. Throw out cut plastic bowls and plates? Do not allow gluten in my home? Check ingredients in my make-up? Have a biopsy done to determine how bad the villi look?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

G

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

First, if you have gone gluten free, the only test that will be valid is the gene testing. Once you've gone glute free, you quit producing the antibodies and your villi will start healing. If you want to do this testing, you will have to go back to eating gluten.

Corn Dog Recipe (from Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids by Shari Sanderson)

1/2 cup rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

1/4 cup potato starch

2/3 cup corn meal

2 Tbls sugar

1 1/2 teas baking powder

1/2 teas dry mustard

1 beaten egg

3/4 cup milk

2 Tbls oil

Extra rice flour

Cooking Oil

Hot Dogs

Pat hot dogs dry. Insert Stick.

Combine dry ingredients (in first group). Combine wet ingredients (in first group). Add dry to wet and mix well. Heat Oil. Roll Hotdogs in extra rice flour. Then coat dogs in batter. Fry - turn after about 3 minutes.

That's the basics of her recipe . . . here is how I adapt . . . I use my flour blend (which has different proportions than what she calls out for the rice/tapioca/potato). I actually use more than a cup, maybe a cup and a half because I thought the batter was too thin and didn't "stick" too well to the dogs and I wanted a thicker coating on the dogs. Just add a little extra flour blend until you have the consistency that you want. I found some wooden coffee stirrers that look like thin popsicle sticks that I use for the stick and those work great. I actually pour my batter into a tall glass so that it's easy to just dunk the dog and not try to roll it around in a shallow bowl trying to get a good coating. Have your oil at temp (med to med high) before putting the first dog in so that the batter instantly sets up. These things cook fast so don't get distracted. It makes a big mess but do as many as you can stand to do. I put leftover cooked corn dogs in the freezer (separated by wax paper) for later use . . . just heat in an oven.

My kids love these. We tried two different brands that were pretty darn expensive and the kids did not care for them at all.

Roda Rising Star

Here is a topic I posted some time ago about corn dogs. My gluten eating family actually like these a lot.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...c=56619&hl=

Wenmin Enthusiast

My sister's gluten eating family always made their own corndogs from scratch. I bet this recipe could be adapted using gluten free cornbread mix. (There are lots of them out there)

1 box corn bread mix - mix according to package directions

1 pound of hot dogs - cut into small slivers (small bite size pieces)

cubed cheese - usually velveeta

Place hot dogs and cheese into greased baking pan, pour prepared corn bread batter over cheese and hot dogs. Bake according to package directions. This recipe is not the traditional corn dogs on a stick, but instead eaten with a fork/spoon.

I bet you could make different variations of this recipe, like adding jalapenos, etc.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
My sister's gluten eating family always made their own corndogs from scratch. I bet this recipe could be adapted using gluten free cornbread mix. (There are lots of them out there)

1 box corn bread mix - mix according to package directions

1 pound of hot dogs - cut into small slivers (small bite size pieces)

cubed cheese - usually velveeta

Place hot dogs and cheese into greased baking pan, pour prepared corn bread batter over cheese and hot dogs. Bake according to package directions. This recipe is not the traditional corn dogs on a stick, but instead eaten with a fork/spoon.

I bet you could make different variations of this recipe, like adding jalapenos, etc.

Ohmygod I'm so doing that! The Bob's Red mill cornbread mix is awesome, never-fail. Strangely, tastes better when you use the dairy free version, and always improves with age, when sealed airtight.

Archived