This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"major" Gluten Ingestion

Jonbo

Jonbo Apprentice

Went to a midnight showing of The Final Destination Thurs Night/Fri morning. Get popcorn and saw some Nacho Cheddar/White Cheddar seasoning on the side. I being stupid didn't thoroughly check the bottles of them but don't recall seeing an ingredient list. Since it was a rare night out for me (in town visiting friends/family after incisional hernia repair), I passed it off since I assumed it would just be cheddar.

Movie ends, and I felt my abdomen and noticed it starting to "brick" itself as I've deemed it. I then realize it had to have been the seasoning. I get home, immediately fire an email to the theater company's website and come to find out the White Cheddar has Gluten in it while the Nacho Cheddar didn't. WTF?! Was the first thought in my head. Unless white cheddar always has Gluten in it and just never knew that (for seasoning purposes).

4 days later, it's still as hard as a brick but thank god no pain (Percocet may be keeping it under control). Oddly enough its majorly distended (when laying a certain way on my side) right where my hernia was that was fixed. So now I'm almost certain the Celiac caused the hernia which I'll be bringing up at surgeon followup along with pictures I took of it. I'm just getting overwhelmed a bit because I ingested so much gluten (most since diagnosis) and it seems to just not be letting up at all. Not helping my recovery from the hernia surgery either.

Usually if I have some minor CC it will last 2-12 hours and then go back to "normal". I just hope it passes soon :( Granted, I'm lucky this is really my only symptom (some minor D 2nd day in but nothing to concern me) but rather not deal with it as long as I have been.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigala Explorer

Yuck. I'm sorry. :(

I had a brain-dead moment and glutened myself for a whole week on supplements I forgot to read the label on. I was on vacation at the time and I assumed the symptoms I was having was due to CC or something from a restaurant or the kitchen utensils in the cabin or whatnot. It had been a long time since I'd had symptoms that bad, though. I realized my mistake 10 days ago and I'm still suffering. So don't take this as condescending when I remind you to "ALWAYS" read the label, and "when in doubt, leave it out." I clearly need someone to remind ME once in a while.

That "brick" sensation you're talking about is familiar. I started noticing it when I began to cut down on gluten but before I made the commitment to go gluten-free. I'd intended to see a doctor before going gluten-free, but that feeling like there was a fist-sized rock in my stomach made it impossible to eat gluten any more once I found out what was causing it.

I hope you feel better soon.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I am so sorry....I'm just getting over a cc glutening, which was pretty short thank goodness. I remember the last time I was majorly glutened, it was the Walmart soy sauce that now has wheat. I was sick for 3-4 days before I could eat anything more than jello or white rice, but it took a couple of weeks before I really felt decent again. It just plain sucks!

Hopefully you are at the worst point and will start to feel better soon...we feel for ya!!!

Jonbo Apprentice
Yuck. I'm sorry. :(

I had a brain-dead moment and glutened myself for a whole week on supplements I forgot to read the label on. I was on vacation at the time and I assumed the symptoms I was having was due to CC or something from a restaurant or the kitchen utensils in the cabin or whatnot. It had been a long time since I'd had symptoms that bad, though. I realized my mistake 10 days ago and I'm still suffering. So don't take this as condescending when I remind you to "ALWAYS" read the label, and "when in doubt, leave it out." I clearly need someone to remind ME once in a while.

That "brick" sensation you're talking about is familiar. I started noticing it when I began to cut down on gluten but before I made the commitment to go gluten-free. I'd intended to see a doctor before going gluten-free, but that feeling like there was a fist-sized rock in my stomach made it impossible to eat gluten any more once I found out what was causing it.

I hope you feel better soon.

The funny thing, is that I always read the label and if doubted, I just not have it. Especially in person if food is already prepared and I'm just not sure I'll skip it. But one of those lapse of judgments because it was first time I'd been with them in a few months or so and just assumed it was just cheese. I don't think you came across as condescending since those words were already ingrained once I read this site and other sites.

Were you able to actually feel the rock with your hands if you pushed on your abdomen? The pictures I have of mine shows that it is extremely prevalent (when laying on one side it shows itself best). Thanks for the concerns so far. Just needed to slightly vent at my stupidity <_<

Jonbo Apprentice

*double posted*

brigala Explorer
Were you able to actually feel the rock with your hands if you pushed on your abdomen?

No, I don't remember ever actually feeling it with my hands. The brick feeling was actually in my *stomach* rather than my belly, so it would have been a little behind my rib cage where I wouldn't be able to easily palpitate it, I think. It was so severe it wouldn't surprise me if I could have felt it, had I really tried to, though. I never thought to do so.

I bet the hernia has a lot to do with it. Weak muscle, swelling behind the muscle, puts pressure on the muscle and makes it weaker... it would just spiral out of control from there. :(

-Elizabeth

Archived