luciddream928

Rash On Lips, Itchy Mouth And Swollen Throat

Rate this topic

I know I got glutened a few weeks ago and it's actually taken me about that long to get over it. I moved to a new city and ate out while moving, though I tried to be careful we all know how THAT one goes.

Last week I went to a dinner party and had three questionable items: Falafel (host said there was no wheat in it), tapioca (same), and hummus. I asked about all these things and the host said they had no flour so I assumed it was safe. Probably a dumb move on my part, but I did.

I've had strange symptoms crop up since then. Predictable D, C, alternating (which has NOT been fun), excessive sleeping, mood swings, aches, and the same rash I always get on the joints of my fingers and now on one elbow. The strange symptom is on my mouth - I got what started out as a crack in the sides of my mouth. I've had this on an off since childhood every once in a while, but this time it was accompanied by tiny bumps, itching, and a feeling of the inside of my mouth coated (or swollen, I can't really tell). My throat was swollen on and off, and I felt a tingling in my mouth and on my lips. This tingling is not constant, it comes and goes. I thought the sore throat might be a cold because I seem to be stuffy in the morning, but it goes away and I'm not the rest of the day. Low immune system, or am I just crazy?

Oddly enough, these are the same symptoms I get from eating mangoes as I'm allergic to them. I haven't had any of those, of course, so I'm wondering if this weird mouth-thing is gluten related? I've read about cheilosis and cheilitis and it seems to fit but no one says much about the itching and tingling inside their mouth or a swollen throat.

Anyone know anything about this? Thank you in advance. It's driving me nuts.

I can't believe you said mangos! I'm allergic to mangos too! In fact, I pulled up your thread because the symptoms you listed are what I get if I eat domestic mangos (strangely, I can eat mangos in Colombia with no problems).

OK, now I'm calm. I have read another poster who had that kind of reaction to MSG. Is that a possibility for you?

I can't believe you said mangos! I'm allergic to mangos too! In fact, I pulled up your thread because the symptoms you listed are what I get if I eat domestic mangos (strangely, I can eat mangos in Colombia with no problems).

OK, now I'm calm. I have read another poster who had that kind of reaction to MSG. Is that a possibility for you?

Oh yes I've heard that - people with a mango allergy can eat them from other regions. They are a distant cousin to poison oak, and it's the skin that bothers me but there's no real way to get away from the oil on the skin, and I don't even want to try. I wonder if I can eat mangos from other places but I'm too afraid to try because my reaction is so severe and prolonged.

MSG is a possibility but I can't imagine how I would have been in contact with it. I don't buy processed food unless it's organic or unless I read the entire label. I'll check though, I didn't think of MSG - thank you for your post!

Do you chew gum? MSG can be in gum too.

What about the falafel? Falafel usually has flour in it (it SHOULD be chickpea flour but isn't always). I've had a hard time finding gluten-free falafel.

That's so interesting about mangoes, regions they come from and poison oak.

I am having similar symptoms right now but it came after (apparently) REALLY burning my mouth on tacos. The symptoms are no fun- hope you feel better!

I have the same strange symptoms after getting glutened. I thought it was just me. Not the cracking in the corners of my mouth, but blisters inside my lips and the whole roof of my mouth feels swollen or coated in something. Just not normal feeling. Unfortunately, it seems to last for a couple of weeks. All my other symptoms resolve in a few days.