twe0708

celiac disease And Swine Flu

Rate this topic

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease yesterday and just looked over my blood work. My Gliadin Antibody is high and my CBC was off. Hemoglobin was low, Hamatorit was low, MCH is low and RDW is high. Could I be in more trouble if I get the Swine Flu? Also, I had a thyroid problem as a child which only lasted about three years and then it corrected itself. My two daughters (14 Hyper and 16 Hypo) have a thyroid problem. Should I have them tested for celiac disease since it's a simple blood test? And if they went' gluten free could this help their thyroid balance out?

I don't know enough about Swin Flu to answer your first question... but there is a link between celiac disease and thyroid issues and I think your instinct is right: it doesn't hurt to get your children tested :)

A person who has recovered from undiagnosed celiac wouldn't be in any extra danger from the flu but I can't say about somebody whose blood levels are still off.

All celiac experts recommend that ALL first-degree relatives of someone with celiac disease be tested. While you can only suggest that any siblings or parents be tested, you most certainly should go ahead and have your children tested.

richard