Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa Ann

New To Gf Diet - Is Coffee Ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Assuming that it doesn't have any ingredients added to the coffee beans themselves that contain gluten. (I don't know how often than happens with coffee, but I know tea will occasionally contain barley, depending on the flavor.) Plain coffee, nothing but roasted coffee beans, is fine. Be careful of the additives, of course.

I am a decaf drinker and have been told that regularly decaf coffee can have gluten in it but that water process doesn't. I don't know the science behind that or even if it's true but I try to only get water process decaf now. I have had regular decaf though and no reaction.

Stephanie

Guest nini

I too drink coffee every morning. As long as there aren't any questionable additives then it's ok!

Never found a regular, decaf or even flavored coffee (although I still check on any flavored ones) with gluten. I also heard the rumor about decaf having gluten but never found one in three years. There is one flavor at Starbucks with gluten, but only because they add something like brownies to it right in front of you.

richard

I have never reacted to a decaf, water processed or not, but avoid those that aren't water-processed just to be on the safe side. Of course my favorite coffee place, Peets, has been giving out free coffee all this month and I've been drinking whatever decaf they have made, so I don't follow this rule at all times. No reaction, though.

A drink with brownies obviously added? I mean, come on, I thought we were talking about *coffee*! That's no coffee! Sheesh!

Stephanie

For anyone who likes to add a creamer....I drink tea and i just called "International Creamer-French Vanilla" (i think that is what it is called?, well anyway it is a blue bottle and shapped like a bowling pin). The French Vanilla is gluten-free. I just called them yesterday and was really excieted about it, because I love that stuff!!! :D