Tim86

Symptoms Get Worse Before They Get Better (gluten-free Diet)

Rate this topic

I've been trying a gluten free diet for about 22 days now, and it seems like I feel worse than before. I'm hoping to relieve so-called IBS problems. In the past 22 days, I've had more abdominal cramping, about the same amount of diarrhea, and more nausea (which I rarely had before).

Here are my theories of what could be happening:

• Maybe I coincidentally acquired some type of infection or parasite about 3 weeks ago, and haven't recovered yet (Salmonella, giardia, etc.)
  • Maybe my digestive system is trying to adjust to the new diet.
  • Maybe something specific in my new diet is irritating me. (I'm eating more tuna & salmon)
  • Maybe I'm still getting some gluten accidentally (but I don't see how this would make it worse...it should at least be no worse than before)

Any other ideas? Has anyone else has this happen, before it started to get better?

By the way, I tested negative for Celiac: Link to my test results discussion

C'mon people. How can over 90 people read this post, and not even one person has replied? I need your help! I'm about ready to give up on this gluten-free diet, so I need some answers to help me keep going.

I've been trying a gluten free diet for about 22 days now, and it seems like I feel worse than before. I'm hoping to relieve so-called IBS problems. In the past 22 days, I've had more abdominal cramping, about the same amount of diarrhea, and more nausea (which I rarely had before).

Are you eating dairy? Many of us cannot tolerate it in the beginning and I, for one, would have your symptoms if I were having dairy.

[*]Maybe I coincidentally acquired some type of infection or parasite about 3 weeks ago, and haven't recovered yet (Salmonella, giardia, etc.)

That's a possiblilty but an infection usually would have run its course by now.

[*]Maybe my digestive system is trying to adjust to the new diet.

Also a possibility. It does take time and you haven't been on the diet long.

[*]Maybe something specific in my new diet is irritating me. (I'm eating more tuna & salmon)

That's a strong possibility. A food journal is helpful here. It sounds simplistic but it really is an eye opener escpecially is your in some kind of denial about a favorite food. You don't describe the rest of your diet but if you would maybe something will jump out.

[*]Maybe I'm still getting some gluten accidentally (but I don't see how this would make it worse...it should at least be no worse than before)

Another good one. Again if you list what you are ingesting, someone might see a red flag.

Any other ideas? Has anyone else has this happen, before it started to get better?

So many have written having the same experience. I'm sure you can find many examples in these files. Especially those who go through withdrawals, it can be a tough transition.

Give some more info and we'll see if we can help in any way. In the meantime, keep that food journal, note your symptoms and search all your food, drink and supplements again.