pastalover

Eating From Gluten Free Certification Organization List

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed almost a year ago and my six month bloodwork still showed my levels at 150 or greater. This was frustrating as I thought I had been eating a strictly gluten free diet. Even more frustrating, my doc wanted me to revisit the dietician. I am a very Type A personality and my father was diagnosed 10 years ago, so I thought I knew what I was doing. The dietician said I should only eat the obvious fresh produce and meats but anything else should be gluten-free certified from the GFCO.

Is anybody doing this? It just seems highly impractical. I went to get more bloodwork today, so we'll see what the results are, but I guess I'm thinking I should be eating from the GFCO's list if my levels haven't improved. Ugh.

What say you?

Outside of fresh fruits and vegetables and meats what are you eating? has your kitchen been completely wiped clean of gluten? meaning you should have rid it of: wooden utensils and citting boards, toasters having been used for gluten breads, porous pans such as cast iron and non-stick. you should make sure if you are in a shared container you are using separate butter, peanut butter, etc. as people usually are not careful to prevent crumbs. and if they try to be, they can sometimes contaminate without meaning too and without realizing. let us know what your diet consists of and what your kitchen looks like and i'll bet someone on this forum can offer an educated opinion!

Yes, I've done my best to de-gluten my kitchen and I have separate butter, pb, etc. My worry is that I can't trust package labels. Sooooo many products at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, etc. say they are gluten free but are not certified. Can I trust these? I know lots of companies run their gluten free products on the same lines as their products containing gluten. I know just because something has gluten free ingredients, that doesn't mean it hasn't been contaminated. Wal-Mart, for instance, labels so many of their things as gluten free. I can't believe that Wal-Mart goes to any lengths to segregate their products.

Feel like I'm eating through a mine field. I try my best to only eat things that specify dedicated lines, etc., but I'm going a little crazy. For instance, all the Chex that say they are gluten free, I swear I had a reaction from the cinnamon ones. But I feel like I can eat the Rice ones without issue. FRUSTRATING.