twe0708

Celiac Disease And Cancer

Rate this topic

Just wondering how many people are out there who have celiac disease and were later diagnosed with cancer? How long did they have celiac disease and how much later were they diagnosed with cancer or other serious problems? I as because I have read that with celiac disease you are at a higher risk of getting cancer.

Just wondering how many people are out there who have celiac disease and were later diagnosed with cancer? How long did they have celiac disease and how much later were they diagnosed with cancer or other serious problems? I as because I have read that with celiac disease you are at a higher risk of getting cancer.

All of the information I have gathered and read stipulates that if a diagnosed Celiac follows and maintains a strict gluten-free diet, their chances of cancer go back to those of the general public without Celiac Disease. I, personally, do not choose to obsess about cancer in my lifetime and I think the medical profession does a good job of scaring people. I know I eat far, far better than the vast majority of people I know who do not have Celiac Disease. I would even go as far as to say I probably have a much lesser chance of being diagnosed with cancer than most people because of my strict, healthy diet. That is the single biggest thing a person can do to stay healthy, along with good lifestyle choices. It is not healthy to worry about cancer all the time. Unless you have a solid family history of it, where you may want to be screened for cancer, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Concentrate on healthy things and relaxing and enjoying life and try to keep stress levels low.

Aside from that, there isn't much else you can do so I wouldn't go around thinking you'll automatically have cancer just because you have Celiac Disease.

My Aunt Susan died from cancer in her intestines at the age of 39 after many years of GI problems. I remember seeing her take laxative when I was about 14yrs old, so she would have been about 35 then. But I agree with Gemini, our need for a healthy diet probably decreases our risks far below the Burger King and preservative eating general population.

Take Care RA

My Aunt Susan died from cancer in her intestines at the age of 39 after many years of GI problems. I remember seeing her take laxative when I was about 14yrs old, so she would have been about 35 then.

Sorry to hear of your loss! There probably are many who were never diagnosed with celiac disease who did run a much higher risk of cancer as a result and this is why I can become a gluten nazi in trying to teach this to my relatives. These are people who always trash people who smoke yet continue to eat gluten AND are symptomatic for celiac disease! Go figure.

But I agree with Gemini, our need for a healthy diet probably decreases our risks far below the Burger King and preservative eating general population.

I firmly believe that for Celiacs and non-Celiacs alike, a healthy, veggie and fruit filled diet is essential to good intestinal health. We do have a lot of colon cancer today but if you pay attention to what people eat and what they put in their grocery carts, I think it's a no-brainer.