This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hormel Natural Choice Deli Meats

txplowgirl

txplowgirl Enthusiast

It's been a bad week, I keep glutening myself and i'm about to have a crying spell. I have felt awful this week and it seems to keep getting worse.

Ok, i bought this hormel natural deli meats, turkey specifically. It states nitrate free, gluten free, no msg added, no artificial ingredients, now in the ingredients list it says water, salt, natural flavor, lactid acid, starter culture (not from milk) and something called turbinado sugar.

I have noticed after eating this I get a major migraine and I feel icky. No stomach problems or pain just an overwhelming feeling of the blahs.

I have a sugar sensitivity so I'm wondering about the turbinado sugar. Never have heard about that one. I went to their website but I haven't found what the natural flavor is.

I am definetly not eating this again. But I was just wondering if anyone might have a clue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I have noticed that the smoked ham doesn't sit well in my stomach. The "cooked" one is much better. I don't believe it's a gluten issue, my symptoms are different, I suspect one of the other ingredients but haven't taken the time to research it. I feel better when I eat an even more natural turkey too. Generally I feel better when everything is more natural. Our sensitive systems!

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter eats the turkey, chicken and ham with no problems. But if you have a sugar issue, that could be it.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
My daughter eats the turkey, chicken and ham with no problems. But if you have a sugar issue, that could be it.

Us too and my dd is super sensitive.

lovegrov Collaborator

Seems to be gluten-free.

richard

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Just an update, really strange. I don't think I was glutened unless that natural ingredient has something in it I can't find out about.

I get the feeling this might have been a "left over" symptom that hit from yesterday's gluten episode. Ughhh. or another 1 of my sensitivities from the sugar. That was the smoked turkey I had, this evening I got the nerve up to try the ham and so far ok.

So, i'm thinking delayed reaction from yesterday. Maybe, possibly?

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Just an update, really strange. I don't think I was glutened unless that natural ingredient has something in it I can't find out about.

I get the feeling this might have been a "left over" symptom that hit from yesterday's gluten episode. Ughhh. or another 1 of my sensitivities from the sugar. That was the smoked turkey I had, this evening I got the nerve up to try the ham and so far ok.

So, i'm thinking delayed reaction from yesterday. Maybe, possibly?

A delayed reaction to a food intolerance can take up to 72 hours to show up so I think you are correct that it could be something you ate from the day before. Delayed reactions can drive ya crazy when your trying to figure them out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jlr Apprentice

I have eaten all of the Hormel Naturals and have never had a problem - I think you might be on to something with the delayed reaction.

I know I find that having to figure out what bothered me each time I feel "glutened" can be very frustrating and often makes me go back and investigate what I had the day before.

Good Luck and feel better!

Janet

sylviaann Apprentice
It's been a bad week, I keep glutening myself and i'm about to have a crying spell. I have felt awful this week and it seems to keep getting worse.

Ok, i bought this hormel natural deli meats, turkey specifically. It states nitrate free, gluten free, no msg added, no artificial ingredients, now in the ingredients list it says water, salt, natural flavor, lactid acid, starter culture (not from milk) and something called turbinado sugar.

I have noticed after eating this I get a major migraine and I feel icky. No stomach problems or pain just an overwhelming feeling of the blahs.

I have a sugar sensitivity so I'm wondering about the turbinado sugar. Never have heard about that one. I went to their website but I haven't found what the natural flavor is.

I am definetly not eating this again. But I was just wondering if anyone might have a clue?

I was glutened from eating their "All Natural chicken product" a month ago. I think is has "hidden MSG" because it tastes too processed. The sugar could have also caused it.

Sylvia Ann

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Another update. I have to say the smoked turkey is what did it. I have been ok for the last few days and I decided to try the smoked turkey again so I would know for sure. I got the migraine within 2 hours. Got the blahs again. Nothing major just feeling kinda tired and lethargic. Very strange because the ham dosen't bother me. So, no more smoked turkey.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I had what I believe to be a gluten reaction after eating two pieces of the honey ham. I believe that it can be very slightly cross contaminated. I believe that I am sensitive to very small amounts of gluten.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I eat the ham every day and tolerate it fine. I've had the other flavors with no problem, just like the ham best.

missy'smom Collaborator
Another update. I have to say the smoked turkey is what did it. I have been ok for the last few days and I decided to try the smoked turkey again so I would know for sure. I got the migraine within 2 hours. Got the blahs again. Nothing major just feeling kinda tired and lethargic. Very strange because the ham dosen't bother me. So, no more smoked turkey.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

It's interesting that we both had problems with the smoked products.

daphniela Explorer

Turbinado sugar is sugar in it's natural form before it is processed to granulated sugar. I prefer it to granulated sugar.

sylviaann Apprentice

Hi there!

I hope you are feeling better. I checked the Hormel website and one of the ingredients listed on the Oven Roasted turkey deli product is Carrageenan (from seaweed). Carrageenan is a NATURALLY occuring MSG product and many people (especially gluten sensitive and celiacs) can be sensitive to it (including me). Maybe you should try to steer clear of all MSG derivatives (and many are hidden in disguise on product labels) and see if you feel better. The words "Natural Flavoring is also a "red flag" I would ask a knowledgable supervisor at Hormel what the natural flavoring consists of? I hope this helps you!

Sylvia Ann :)

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

I'm right there with you but I don't think its gluten. I'm very sensitive to nitrites & msg. I think its the "natural" nitrites and msg in these products...horrible headache and feeling sick everytime I eat this stuff. I can however tolerate the natural hormel bacon and love it. I just cant overdo it or I'll get a headache..but nothing like the results of the deli meats.

sylviaann Apprentice
I'm right there with you but I don't think its gluten. I'm very sensitive to nitrites & msg. I think its the "natural" nitrites and msg in these products...horrible headache and feeling sick everytime I eat this stuff. I can however tolerate the natural hormel bacon and love it. I just cant overdo it or I'll get a headache..but nothing like the results of the deli meats.

I agree with you :) I finally discovered last week through my food diary that I was reacting to Boar's Head deli meats and hot dogs. Every time I ate one of these "gluten-free, CF" products, my neurological symptoms (myoclonus) worsened...really worsened! I discovered that they use MSG in their products. I also react to whole foods containing high levels of "Naturally occuring glutamic acid" including mushrooms, shrimp, scallops, tomato sauce, potato chips.... frying potatoes greatly increases the level of glutamates. I also had a strong reaction to an Aquafresh White Tray two weeks ago because it contained sucralose (artifical sweetener). Artifical sweeteners are one of the worst glutamates/excitotoxins!

Sylvia Ann

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

I can't handle any kind of artificial sweetener either. I never thought about whitening trays...If I had a half of a half of a penny for every label I read I would be quite wealthy LOL

sylviaann Apprentice
I can't handle any kind of artificial sweetener either. I never thought about whitening trays...If I had a half of a half of a penny for every label I read I would be quite wealthy LOL

"Ditto" :) I never used artificial sweetners in the past except for Trident gum. I stopped chewing all gum several months ago so I was shocked when my body was jerking and twitching all night after using a white tray. Several days later, I was reading Dr. Robert Blaylock's interview (on the web) about Excitotoxins (MSG & Aspartame) causing neurological problems and my jar dropped! I wonder if "Leaky Gut" is causing our immune system to develop all these food and product intolerances.

Sylvia Ann

Archived