drcboston

How Long After Eating Gluten Until Feeling Bad?

Rate this topic

Though I was diagnosed with Celiac last Dec., I have historically been asymptomatic. I have heard that after awhile without gluten, though, my body may react to it differently and I may develop symptoms if I consume it. Tonight, I think I may be experiencing that. My stomach started hurting about 1.5 hours after dinner. I discovered the enchilada sauce we used has wheat in it (my bad, forgot to check...) Is this likely? How long does it usually take before the onset of discomfort? How long will it likely last? I'm guessing it varies.

thanks,

david

It does vary for how long it takes you to react and for how long it lasts. It depends on how much you ate, what you ate, how much was in your stomach, etc. I hope your symptoms go fast!

personally, i know within about 1 hour of eating, from the drastic bloating and pain that ensues. I get the 'chills' like I am experiencing a fever. My symptoms last about 3-5 days with varying onset. the migraine starts 24 hours after consumption and lasts 48 hours. the diarrhea onset varies between same day to the next, and the itchiness, swelling, fatigue, irritability all starts about 24 hours after... So each symptom varies in it's onset for me...

responses to this question tend to vary significantly. some people get symptoms within minutes (I'm one of these - takes me about 15-30 minutes) and others take days (up to four or five).