jello5

gluten-free/cf Calcium Supplements For Children

Rate this topic

Hi

We have been gluten-free/CF for almost 1 month now. It is going well. My concern is that my children arent getting enough calcium due to the lack of dairy products. I give them the orange juice with the calcium, I put spinach in salads and omelets and even sneak it into fruit smoothies. I try to add some type of leafy green veggie into their diet almost daily. I would like to know if anyone knows of a supplement for children (maybe a multi-vitamin with calcium) or a supplement with just calcium-specifically for children.

I have two different supplements that we use. I have Rhino calcium by Nutrition Now, and we also use Bluebonnet ca/mg liquid supplement. The Bluebonnet is liquid, and even though it isn't for kids.....I just half the dose, which has been approved by our ped. With a half dose, it's 600mg of calcium, 400 IU of Vit D3, and 300mg magnesium.

After doing a bit of digging around after we went casein free 2 years ago, I have read that milk actually contains a very high protein to calcium ratio, which causes calcium depletion, and no magnesium needed for absorbtion. So really, I think cutting out milk and beefing up the leafy greens puts you at a head start already! I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it, but cutting out all dairy has improved our health so much.

I like the liquid the best, and the kids don't mind the taste. They don't love it, but they take it. It has a higher dose of magnesium, and Vit D which I like....and it totally calms them down before bed. It is the one supplement I don't run out of anymore, it really helps with our sleep. I had always felt that it calmed me down....and then looking around online, there are a few calcium/magnesium supplements that tout the "calming" effect it has.

I think you are doing well already with the leafy greens, brocolli is another great source if your kiddo will eat it! Hope that helps.

I have two different supplements that we use. I have Rhino calcium by Nutrition Now, and we also use Bluebonnet ca/mg liquid supplement. The Bluebonnet is liquid, and even though it isn't for kids.....I just half the dose, which has been approved by our ped. With a half dose, it's 600mg of calcium, 400 IU of Vit D3, and 300mg magnesium.

After doing a bit of digging around after we went casein free 2 years ago, I have read that milk actually contains a very high protein to calcium ratio, which causes calcium depletion, and no magnesium needed for absorbtion. So really, I think cutting out milk and beefing up the leafy greens puts you at a head start already! I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it, but cutting out all dairy has improved our health so much.

I like the liquid the best, and the kids don't mind the taste. They don't love it, but they take it. It has a higher dose of magnesium, and Vit D which I like....and it totally calms them down before bed. It is the one supplement I don't run out of anymore, it really helps with our sleep. I had always felt that it calmed me down....and then looking around online, there are a few calcium/magnesium supplements that tout the "calming" effect it has.

I think you are doing well already with the leafy greens, brocolli is another great source if your kiddo will eat it! Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the info. That is so interesting with the sleep component of taking the calcium/vitd/magnesium. So what is it that helps with the sleep? The ca/mg or the vit D?

One of my kids is such a restless sleeper in the first place, makes me wonder if he was deficient before we even went gluten-free/cf.

From some of the articles I've read, it's the magnesium. Low mg levels can cause restless sleep, and it brings the body's pH level to a more alkaline state, which is calming. Or something like that, lol, I'm sure a more scientific person could explain it better! But yeah, we always take it at night, and it works wonders for us.

We use a product called Cal Mag Fizz. It is a powder you put into water and it fizzes (thus the name :) )