k2626

How Accurate Is The Celiac Blood Panel?

Rate this topic

My dr is sending me out one, I am hoping this is the reason for my pancreas issues and nerve pains vs something more scary. My last celiac came back negative

Any advise?

I will be having a new EUS to view my pancreas soon and while he is down there will ask for him to biopsy my stomach too

I believe you can have a false negative, but not a false positive, with the blood panel.

My dr is sending me out one, I am hoping this is the reason for my pancreas issues and nerve pains vs something more scary. My last celiac came back negative

Any advise?

I will be having a new EUS to view my pancreas soon and while he is down there will ask for him to biopsy my stomach too

As far as the Celiac Blood Panel, there can be false negative readings (it is not 100% accurate). Make sure that your doctor includes a blood lab to test you for an IGA Deficiecncy. If you are IGA deficient, it means that you may test negative on the Celiac blood panel..but actually be positive. Many doctors fail to order this test becaue they are not familiar with it or the insurance company will not pay for it. You definitely need it....and you should insist on it. Make sure he takes several samples from different areas of your stomach and not just a few.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted :)

Sylvia Ann

Any advise?

if you are concerned about celiac you need to biopsy the intestines, not the stomach. celiac is defined as damage to the villi of the intestines.

as for the blood panel it can produce false negatives but not false positives; the number I see fairly consistently is about 30% level of error.