Rate this topic

This is probably a really gross question, but I'm hoping someone will be willing to help me. I was wondering what a "normal" (ie what people w/o celiac would experience as normal) BM would be. I realized that mine weren't normal after seeing my GI doc and her reaction to my descriptions. But they have been normal for me. What is normal for a person with a healthy digestive tract? Is there a point when I will know that my digestive tract has healed because I will have normal BMs? Thanks.

Unfortunately, what I've been told is "what's normal for you". Some people go everyday, some people every few days. Some people are more solid, some liquidy. My basic definition is: if it's not liquid, and it doesn't hurt coming out, it's probably normal :)

maybe tmi lol but maybe you'll be more comfortable talking about it. bm talk is not uncommon around here :P

before gluten-free days i would go once a week max for a while, then followed by D for a couple days. then i might have "regular days" for a week or so... but i would always go back to not having any set schedule.

after having been on the gluten-free diet for a while now and feeling very good.. i have some semblance of normal. i can go almost every day and it is no longer a toss up between C or D. i never knew i was irregular before i figured out what regular felt like ;)

but i think normal for you might be a good description. it shouldnt be difficult or painful to go at all...

Hi,

Thanks for both of your responses. I only had intermittent D before I was diagnosed (and my regular pcp who I didn't see the day I went in said she wouldn't have thought of celiac as a possible problem). The only time I had pain was with really bad D. The GI didn't seem to like what she heard (as in it wasn't a good sign) when I described what was going on. I just wish there was a way to know when everything was back to okay inside. I feel like I never know anymore what is normal and I just want to be able to trust my body. I used to be able to know what was going on (stress etc) by how my body reacted. Now I just feel thrown for a loop. Thanks again.