Zephyrite

Foster Family Farms Pickled Asparagus From Costco

Rate this topic

I was recently diagnosed with celiac, and while cleaning out my kitchen of gluten-containing foods, I was dismayed to read the label on my favorite pickled asparagus from Costco.....it said "May contain wheat." I couldn't believe it, and...probably out of anger and incredulousness :o ...I called the manufacturer yesterday.

The owner of Foster Family Farms returned my call promptly and said that she put that on the label because the product contains white vinegar.....and that was the ONLY reason she did it. She said she has a relative that is gluten-free, and they were told to be wary of vinegars. When I explained that the distillation process removes the gluten molecule (exception: malt vinegar, made from barley), and that white vinegar was OK (and told her to look on this site for confirmation) she said, "Oh my, I should probably change the labels for next year's run!" YAY! I love their pickled asparagus! Enjoy! :)

You have pickled asperagus at your Costco?????? I"M SO JEALOUS!!!! I LOVE THAT!!! Now I'm feeling really sad, lol.

Heck, the white vinegar probably isn't even made from wheat.

richard