This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Muscle Shaking

Jackpru

Jackpru Rookie

Hi everyone,

I read all your imput and sometimes I wonder if anyone recovers from this illness.

I have been gluten free /dairy/soya/nightshades now for 3 months and apart from the swelling going down in my feet I really cant say that I have any other improvement. My shaking doesn't seem to improve one bit and this I find is one of the most frustrating symptoms as I cant stand for very long and am constantly searching for somewhere to plonk myself down if I go out.

My head is constantly brain fogged and this seems to have got worse since I went gluten free.

Also I now cant seem to tolerate my calcium/magnesium supplement. I have tried the gluten /soya/dairy free one also 2 other makes and it just causes pain in my bowel. I find this really worrying because my joints ache and I have arthritis in my one hip, so panic that its going to get worse

Sorry am on a real downer at the moment.

Just that when I read about this intolerance was convinced this was the answer to my prayers but I am finding it such a struggle and here in the UK the docotors just dont seem to be on the same planet and after 20years of being viewed as probable neorotic just seem to need someone to give me some hope.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, it seems you already know the importance of nutrients. You might try a powdered calcium/magnesium supplement. One common type is cal/mag citrate. They are also available separately, so you can blend them to suit your own needs. Thee powders are generally pure forms of the nutrients, without any fillers, binders, etc. So you'll be able to rule out any reactions to other ingredients. The citrate forms have a citrus-like taste, and thus tend to be best mixed with orange, lemon, raspberry or other acidic fruit juice. Some other forms include carbonate, malate, oxide, oratate, sulfate, etc.

Another common deficiency for those with Celiac is vitamin B12. The sublingual type of methylcobalamin is very helpful for the nervous system. This and magnesium are vital for proper nerve function, along with the other B vitamins, which you should also take. The co-enzyme forms are the ones to get. Also, make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, zinc, iron, and basically all vitamins and minerals. Fatty acids are also important, and some good ones include flax oil and coconut oil.

As you may already know, nightshades have a toxin which effects the nervous system. Double-check to make sure you're not ingesting any from things like paprika, red pepper, curry powder or other spices. If you or a family member uses tobacco, that may also be effecting you, as it is a nightshade too.

Give it time too. Many on this board have reported long, slow recovery periods, sometimes lasting many years. It all depends on the individual, and how much damage has been done.

Welcome to the board! I'm sure you'll get a wealth of helpful information and advice.

chasbari Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I read all your imput and sometimes I wonder if anyone recovers from this illness.

I have been gluten free /dairy/soya/nightshades now for 3 months and apart from the swelling going down in my feet I really cant say that I have any other improvement. My shaking doesn't seem to improve one bit and this I find is one of the most frustrating symptoms as I cant stand for very long and am constantly searching for somewhere to plonk myself down if I go out.

My head is constantly brain fogged and this seems to have got worse since I went gluten free.

Also I now cant seem to tolerate my calcium/magnesium supplement. I have tried the gluten /soya/dairy free one also 2 other makes and it just causes pain in my bowel. I find this really worrying because my joints ache and I have arthritis in my one hip, so panic that its going to get worse

Sorry am on a real downer at the moment.

Just that when I read about this intolerance was convinced this was the answer to my prayers but I am finding it such a struggle and here in the UK the docotors just dont seem to be on the same planet and after 20years of being viewed as probable neorotic just seem to need someone to give me some hope.

I basically second all that Riceguy just said and offer words of encouragement. I remember the first three or four months as being absolute agony. I ended up going paleo and felt like I was starving all the time. I still feel that way but now I am actually starting to feel better from day to day. I am dealing with rheumatoid arthritis and it is slowly getting better as well... an unexpected side benefit. Hang in there and hang around here as there are good people who have lived the battle far longer than you and me and are more than willing to give encouragement. I understand the whole being labeled as a neurotic. Twenty years before my celiac diagnosis my doctors told me I might have to come to the understanding that it was probably all in my head... I have learned to trust my gut instinct as it kept trying to tell me I wasn't crazy. It still effects how I deal with any advice from a medical person since I was so easily blown off when I had real and legitimate pain for so many decades. Keep asking questions anyway!

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Jackpru,

I also have RA and have allergies to the nightshade family. I have been gluten-free for almost 5 months now. try to be patient I know it's frustrating. I have noticed that when I get glutened I get the shakes worse and my RA and Fibro seems to flare more.

Are you sure you're not still being glutened somewhere? Have you replaced your teflon pans, toaster, etc? Also you may be more sensitive, have you checked your medicines, shampoo? Gluten can be in these also. Then again you may have more food allergies, like eggs, msg, sugar, etc.

In my opinion sounds to me like more food allergies or gluten. Start keeping a food journal and keep track of everything you eat. Hang in there, It will get better.

Jackpru Rookie

Just want to thank you for your replies, this website is fantastic and so many of you are there for support.

I am finding each day foods that are telling my body or my body telling me that they dont still like the foods I am putting into it. Like yesterday I went out shoppping and bought a "natural" fruit drink with no additives unfortunately after having stomach pains and diarrhoea last night realized that I couldn't cope with the lemon in the drink. Also when I have anything like eggs or fish I have terrible headaches and fatigue and now realize that the selenium in the eggs and iodine in the fish probably stimulates my thyroid as it is very sensative.

I will try the powdered calcium/magnesium but think I will have to find one that is not citrate because of the citric acid upsetting me.

It seems this battle has only just begun but with all your support it makes it a lot less difficult.

RiceGuy Collaborator

The sensitivity to acidic foods has me wondering. Can you tolerate garlic or onion? What about strawberries, kiwi, spinach, or pineapple? Some say acidic foods can be a problem for those battling candida.

You mentioned your thyroid, and seemed to indicate that it is overactive. Coconut oil is said to promote thyroid function, because it can be readily burned for fuel. How do you feel when you eat it? Or, in the case of hypothyroid, do you avoid soy because it is said to lower thyroid function? What happens when you eat peaches or corn?

Jestgar Rising Star
Well, it seems you already know the importance of nutrients. You might try a powdered calcium/magnesium supplement. One common type is cal/mag citrate. They are also available separately, so you can blend them to suit your own needs.

Can you provide a link, or some other source to guide someone in mixing their own?

With other supplements, do you follow the recommendations on the bottle?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jackpru Rookie

Sorry pressing all the wrong buttons today.

In answer to your inquiry about what I can and cant tolerate. Garlic and onions upset me make

me have a bad head really bad with pain on the one side and I feel like I am hung over for a couple of days. Coconut oil has the same affect. Soy makes me feel tired, Maize upsets my stomach, haven't really noticed peaches upsetting although dont really eat them unless they are in a fruit salad but I think when I ate Pineapple a few weeks ago I stopped for some reason probably the acid upsetting me.

I think my thyroid is just sensative full stop but more so with stimulating ingredients.

On the positive side I can eat apples and bananas that I not quite ripe which reminds me I cannot eat a lot of sugar because then my stomach starts churning and I have diarrohea, so sounds a bit like Candida.

I take Probitics everyday but when I tried digestive enzymes they made me ill again stimulated me as I was awake all night.

I end up eating a lot of brown rice, rice cakes, chicken, lamb vegetables and I am beginning to suspect the Red Potatoes that I was told were okay to eat might be making me feel sleepy.

Anyway I will take your advice about the B12 and order some. I do take supplements:-

Flaxseed, Starflower Oil, calcium/magnesium, Biotin, Vit D, Boran,Milkthistle, Pantothenic acid, Folic Acid, MSM and Bilberry.

Thats another thing I take Bilberry because my eyesight is in a mess - floaters, short sight, blurring.

I think I just ought to go to the knackers yard!

RiceGuy Collaborator
Can you provide a link, or some other source to guide someone in mixing their own?

With other supplements, do you follow the recommendations on the bottle?

Calcium and magnesium are often recommended together (hence the widely available combos). They compete for absorption, but depending on your body, you may need to reduce or increase one of them. For instance, calcium supplements can cause C, and magnesium supplements can cause D. Thus if you experience too much of one of those symptoms, compensate by adjusting the blend accordingly. If you already know you can't decrease one, then increase the other. That's not practical if they're pre-blended.

I usually start with the recommendation on the label. Then adjust the amounts based on how I feel. Many nutrients tend to work together, play against each other, and/or effect the absorption of others. Vitamin D and zinc are often recommended along with cal/mag. Sadly, blood tests don't always give an accurate measure of some nutrients, especially the amounts which actually make it into body tissues. While there are general dosage guidelines, the nature of a person's specific malabsorption effects how much of a given nutrient to take.

Here's an interesting article:

Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

Thanks. It's always easier to start with more info, especially for people who have never taken supplements.

Archived