RacerRex9727

Does Anybody Experience Psychological Symptoms When On Gluten?

Rate this topic

Does anybody experience any of these symptoms when on gluten?

- Depression

- Extreme irritability

- Anger

- Irrationality

- Loss of judgment

- Hostility

- Despair

I know it sounds stupid but I really want to know.

- Depression

- Extreme irritability

- Anger

- Irrationality

- Loss of judgment

- Hostility

- Despair

Hi and welcome, RacerRex :)

Doesn't sound so stupid to me--I get irritable, anxious, and I used to get downright hostile. It's better now after 4 years, but the anxiety and irritability are still a problem when glutened.

Before I was diagnosed, I was depressed on top of it all, but that has thankfully lifted.

- Depression

- Extreme irritability

- Anger

- Irrationality

- Loss of judgment

- Hostility

- Despair

Hi and welcome, RacerRex

Doesn't sound so stupid to me--I get irritable, anxious, and I used to get downright hostile. It's better now after 4 years, but the anxiety and irritability are still a problem when glutened.

Before I was diagnosed, I was depressed on top of it all, but that has thankfully lifted.

Hello & Welcome

Not a stupid question at all! It is natural to go through a grieving process & sometimes it takes a while to come to terms with an illness. Sometimes, as Jersey Angel stated when one gets CC or glutened by accident strange things flair -up & make us feel defeated..no one is the same, some fly-by with no issues & others have what appears to be unending issues at times. Don't beat your self up because you have feelings that you may not want its all a process & things do really get better.

Take things one step at a time so you don't become overwhelmed...there is wonderful advice & hints on here , recipes too!!!!!

blessings

mamaw

Guest missmyrtle

Hello, Not a silly question in any way

You are certainly not alone and I can identify with every single one of those feelings.

In an extreme reaction I feel all of them and extreme fury for the time that is effectively lost whilst healing.

Many people say it takes varied amounts if time to heal and you just have to keep on remembering that the reactions do get worse before they get better all too often.

Right there with you! Don't give up since there is lots of beauty in the non glutened time.

You are not alone. I am definitely impacted physiologically when I am glutened. I would have probably been diagnosed manic depressive before my diagnosis.

Actually, psychological problems are very common. Gluten attacks our brains too. Some people only have psychological problems, and not gastro.

I had a problem with depression pre-gluten free. Now, when I get gluttened, the depression rolls over me like a fog. It's just amazing how my outlook changes so drastically. It lasts a couple of days, but I understand it and can deal with it better. I'm really careful to not get glutened! It's also amazing how many systems this illness affects. Hang in there- it gets better.

Celiacs and/or gluten intolerance can interfere with the absorption of B vitamins and tryptophane.... since these are the necessary precursors to the synthesis of neurotransmitters in you body (especially serotonin) you could very well have low levels of serotonin as a result. This imbalance very definitely contributes to anxiety and depression....

- Depression

- Extreme irritability

- Anger

- Irrationality

- Loss of judgment

- Hostility

- Despair

Trust me you're not alone on this one. When I come in contact with gluten I get all of these symptoms over the next two day period, and sometimes it's quite unbearable. You just have to remember that it's the gluten that's making you feel so bad and it has nothing to do with outside factors. ;) I've found that taking a vitamin B complex combating stress and fatigue helps a lot, not only when you have epidsodes but for everyday. Especially when you're still healing its nice to be putting those extra B's in your body since you may not be absorbing it from your food. Primal defense by Gardens of Life helps too because it helps your body absorb more of the nutrients from your food and vitamins. I hope this helps!