Freda66

Onset Of Celiac's

Rate this topic

Hello,

Is Celiac's something that someone has all their life but is not always triggered or can one just suddenly develop an allergy to gluten?

I am going to see a gastro next week. I've always had what I thought was a "nervous stomach" but it has gotten progressively worse over the past 4 or 5 years. The onset of the really bad problems coincided with a long hospitalization and subsequent death of my mom and my divorce which was going on at the same time. So can you have a predisposition to celiac and then have it set off by some life altering event?

Also, would allergy to soy and dairy produce the same symptoms as an allergy to gluten?

Thanks for your help.

Freda

Hello,

Is Celiac's something that someone has all their life but is not always triggered or can one just suddenly develop an allergy to gluten?

I am going to see a gastro next week. I've always had what I thought was a "nervous stomach" but it has gotten progressively worse over the past 4 or 5 years. The onset of the really bad problems coincided with a long hospitalization and subsequent death of my mom and my divorce which was going on at the same time. So can you have a predisposition to celiac and then have it set off by some life altering event?

Also, would allergy to soy and dairy produce the same symptoms as an allergy to gluten?

Thanks for your help.

Freda

Hi Freda and welcome to the forum.

Regarding celiac, first of all let's define celiac; it is not an allergy to gluten; it is an autoimmune response brought on by an intolerance to gluten. For most of us, the other food intolerances that we develop or which accompany our celiac disease are also not allergies, but intolerances. Some of the symptoms of these intolerances can mimic the gluten symptoms; others have quite different symptoms. Most of my other intolerances, including soy, produce intense itching. My lactose intolerance gave me severe GI symptoms, worse than those from gluten but not lasting as long. Each individual responds adversely to gluten in their own fashion, as to other foods.

You are quite correct about the onset of celiac. Some poor infants are born with it, but for most of us it lies fairly latent until some big-time trauma or stress triggers it. For a lot of women childbirth is the trigger. We can nearly all look back through our lives and see that the seeds were there growing little bits now and again, but the full-blown problem usually comes on quite suddenly.