oreilly15

Are Most Vitamins Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Hi, as well as having celiac I am also lactose intolerant, and have been told by my doctor I am not getting enough vitamins. I was just wondering what vitamins are usually necessary for Celiacs and are all vitamins gluten free? If not which ones are. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi, as well as having celiac I am also lactose intolerant, and have been told by my doctor I am not getting enough vitamins. I was just wondering what vitamins are usually necessary for Celiacs and are all vitamins gluten free? If not which ones are. Thanks for any help you can give.

Vitamins B12 and D and minerals iron, calcium and magnesium are the ones celiacs usually need the most. A decent multivitamin is usually sufficient, though if you're avoiding dairy you'll need additional calcium/magnesium. I can't say definitively which vitamin brands are gluten-free. Most are, but you definitely need to check the ingredients. I noticed that some CVS house brand vitamins did have gluten. Safest is usually to go to a health food store; there's are also often dairy-free.

No doubt you know it already, but Lactaid takes care of lactose intolerance totally, or nearly so.

You do need to check. Do read the whole label as at times barley or wheat grass will be in some that are labeled gluten free. I use either Country Life or NOW the most and they label very clearly.

B12 is a really good idea but do get a sublingual at least at first as you will not be able to utilize the B12 in a swallowed vitamin.

I recently checked (some time in the last couple of weeks) and called Centrum and they said their products were not gluten free (I asked because of a new formula). Good luck

Nature Made will always list if the product is gluten free, as does Natrol, Spring Valley (at Walmart), Jarrow, Country Life. Always check the label though, if it doesn't say gluten free, etc, then absolutely do not buy it. Always go through the ingredients list too, they will say gluten free, then have barley grasses, which some think are gluten free, yet I wouldn't trust them.

I use Nature Made Multi Complete (found at my local CVS store). On the bottle it says: No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors, No Preservatives, No Yeast or Gluten. However at the bottom of the bottle it does say: Manufactured on equipment that also produces Peanuts and soy.

Wenmin

I use a lot of Vitamin Shoppe supplements, and have been happy with them. I did have a problem with their "Especially for Man" multi-vit pills. They are yeast, wheat, salt, dairy, preservative, and coloring free. But they have oatstraw in them I think that is what was getting to me. I use their other product with no problem. Their is a brand called Pioneer that I think is sold on the forum store here. Ihaven't tried them but they are probably good.

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/glut...ogkn7b04fqpe280